A Dachshund and a Jack Russell Terrier
is what I used before they got to old for the cold
temps.

Dachshunds were bred for that but the JRT was
good too.

Blackston

Just sayin

Rvick,
I'm not trying to argue, as they can drag you along,especially if not well trained but this is from a 5 second google " This giant hound has 300 million scent receptors — more than any other breed. He is famed for his man-trailing abilities and is so reliable his evidence is admitted in court. Bloodhounds can not only follow a scent on the ground, they can also air scent." Other breeds have to smell after the scent lands on something. Also bloodhounds body is set up for smelling. They have longer necks and all that skin is to help capture the scent. They're easy to train for following a trail because that's what they've been bred for, for many years.
They have the best nose, but they may not be the best deer tracker for everyone.
Between Idaho mike and Rvick on this forum I would consider their word to have a lot of weight look at their posts. Proofs in the puddin. They both run curs and tailgate a BUNCH of deer. Just sayin

Hunting Teacher

I got a couple of pure bassets that are tracking machines! Now I spent A LOT of time training them. They have the nose and the desire. That's all that's required. I will say one time tracking a deer across a cutover, I did have to keep lifting one up because she is so low to the ground she couldn't climb over all the trash and limbs! :):)
Most the time, they are so low they fly under everything and it is a chore to keep up! Neither bay while tracking which I actually prefer, because they are always on a leash and cause less disturbance.
A good tracking dog in camp is worth their weight in gold. And that would be a lot of gold for my ol fat basset!! :rofl::rofl:

wildlands

As Randy said it rare you will get the two and three day old tracks. I use a breed that is know in its native country to do 3 and 4 day old tracks but in 14 years i have never tracked anything over 40 hours old other than practice. A dog 40 to 60 pounds is all you need. Something big enough to bay and hold but not so big as to pull you through every briar patch out there. Pick a dog that fits your life and tracking style. Some dogs require more attention, more work, more room to run/ exercise. You might not need a big runner to track and bay if you are only working small tracks. Stick with a working breed or cross, spend the time training and most of all have fun.