I prefer High Fence Over baiting.

James Vincent

I love to hunt high fence operations. dalton utilities is the best but it’s only 10,000 acres. Fort AP Hill In Va is fantastic bu is 80,000 acres under high fence.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I went after an elk on a 1600 fenced property once and it took us four days hunting from sun up to sun set to find him before I could get him. Now do I call it fair chase, no, even though he was the only bull in a 1600 acre fenced area; however, it was NOT easy and I did it because I had never eaten elk and don't have the health, knees or physique to climb mountains to go after them. I kind of looked at it like I was going to the grocery store to get the meat I wanted, only I had to find it, shoot it and process it in order to have it. It was worth it to me because I got a freezer full of elk that I enjoyed over the next year or so and I only had to pay $700 to get him, that was for the cost of the trip plus the $500 I paid for the elk, which is less than the cost for a half side of beef!!!!:cool::cool:

I did the same thing. Shot it with my bow at 30 yards. Most think they are all steroided tame animals. It's not "fair chase" like a wild animal but it wasn't fishing in a barrel either. I've got him mounted on the wall but I let folks know it was a high fence kill. I'd be more proud of a 130 inch deer off of my club

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Well, at least you are man enough to admit it was not fair chase and I think that is the point some are trying to make here.

Most just bash it for what it is. These kind of places are different than deer farms although some get there animals from deer farms. Most consider anything with a fence around it a cwd spreading farm

garveywallbanger

High Fence will kill this sport...folks... do not support this type of greed! Deer are free ranging critters and need to be capable of wandering where they choose. I encourage everyone on this forum to fight to make it against the law to high fence . Dont fence me in ...SMH

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
High Fence will kill this sport...folks... do not support this type of greed! Deer are free ranging critters and need to be capable of wandering where they choose. I encourage everyone on this forum to fight to make it against the law to high fence . Dont fence me in ...SMH

It IS illegal to hunt high fence deer in Georgia. Is that what you meant? Or are you wanting to pass a law that tells ME I can't high fence MY property. Don't tread on me

rosewood

I think we should put a high fence across that southern border....

REDMOND1858

then the deer on the 3000 acre place in Texas probably aren't feeling confined.

No they are not feeling confined.....But the fact is, they are.
They CAN NOT LEAVE
The realistic options they have are
A) survive on the 3000 acre FARM that they can not leave
B) Die on the 3000 acre farm that they can not leave
It is true that you may see the same deer consistently for 6 months- a year however long, on a free range piece of property. It is also very realistic that those deer disappear the first week of bow season, not to be seen again until February, or maybe even never again.

In free range hunting we do “control” some of the variables such as food, travel routes, stand time in order to have a better chance of success. However none of the variables are eliminated, and the deer has a CHOICE on whether to use the variables we control.

In a high fence the deer has NO option but to use what is inside the high fence. The option for that deer to leave is eliminated. Therefore the option for that deer to disappear is eliminated. No different from a cow in a pasture. The cow is forced to utilize what it has been given inside of its containment. If a shooter decides he wants that deer, the deer has no option but to be killed inside that fence. Enough time in the stand and that deer WILL be killed, because that is where he HAS to be.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Only problem I have with high fences is getting over them when I go poaching!:rofl:

That looks like too much work. I just carry a pair of wire cutters and cut a hole in the fence so I can walk right through. Never been caught either.

REDMOND1858

I went after an elk on a 1600 fenced property once and it took us four days hunting from sun up to sun set to find him before I could get him.

Would you have, without knowing for a fact that the elk was in there, and could not leave, hunted that hard for that amount of time? And do you believe that you would have been successful at killing him if the fence had never been there?
Not bashing you at all, as I see that you understand there is a difference, and you had your expected outcome before hand(getting a dang good deal on some fine meat). Just wondering your honest answer from someone who obviously sees it from both sides of the fence.

shdw633

Would you have, without knowing for a fact that the elk was in there, and could not leave, hunted that hard for that amount of time? And do you believe that you would have been successful at killing him if the fence had never been there?
Not bashing you at all, as I see that you understand there is a difference, and you had your expected outcome before hand(getting a dang good deal on some fine meat). Just wondering your honest answer from someone who obviously sees it from both sides of the fence.

No. As a matter of fact, the intensity of the hunt increased with each passing day as I did not figure it was going to take as much as it did to find him. It wasn't like it was 1600 wooded acres, there were plenty of large pastures. It was more of a pleasant surprise that it did take some hunting in order to find him and harvest him; however, I knew I was going home with him, it was just a matter of when and what would we have to do to get him. I will also say that on the morning of day three we actually did a drive in an attempt to get him up and moving with no success, it wasn't until I sat all day on day four on an alfalfa field that he came through at 1:00 pm in the afternoon after all the other hunters on the property left their stands to go in for lunch. As for whether or not I would have gotten him without the fence, I was on my last day, I had to leave the following morning, there was a good chance I was not going to get him as one of our other hunters did not harvest one while we were there during that time. Keep in mind there were 5 elk and 4 hunters on the property, 2 of the hunters bagged a cow and bull on day 4 and 1 bagged a spike on Day 2, with a cow still remaining on the property after we left. I should also point out that even though two of the hunters bagged their animal we kept them hunting throughout the hunt just trying to find and harvest the remaining animals with one of those hunters bagging a yearling cow which was given to the hunter that did not shoot anything during the four days. This was not about the "hunt"....this was solely about getting elk meat for the freezer for everyone and we even shared what we had with the hunter that did not harvest one. I bought the hunt on Ebay back in 2001 or 2002, I can't remember now, the price was 4 elk for $2000 total. I got three of my friends and we filled the freezer!! I still look for that kind of deal to this day on Ebay and would do it again if I could find one.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
No. As a matter of fact, the intensity of the hunt increased with each passing day as I did not figure it was going to take as much as it did to find him. It wasn't like it was 1600 wooded acres, there were plenty of large pastures. It was more of a pleasant surprise that it did take some hunting in order to find him and harvest him; however, I knew I was going home with him, it was just a matter of when and what would we have to do to get him. I will also say that on the morning of day three we actually did a drive in an attempt to get him up and moving with no success, it wasn't until I sat all day on day four on an alfalfa field that he came through at 1:00 pm in the afternoon after all the other hunters on the property left their stands to go in for lunch. As for whether or not I would have gotten him without the fence, I was on my last day, I had to leave the following morning, there was a good chance I was not going to get him as one of our other hunters did not harvest one while we were there during that time. Keep in mind there were 5 elk and 4 hunters on the property, 2 of the hunters bagged a cow and bull on day 4 and 1 bagged a spike on Day 2, with a cow still remaining on the property after we left. I should also point out that even though two of the hunters bagged their animal we kept them hunting throughout the hunt just trying to find and harvest the remaining animals with one of those hunters bagging a yearling cow which was given to the hunter that did not shoot anything during the four days. This was not about the "hunt"....this was solely about getting elk meat for the freezer for everyone and we even shared what we had with the hunter that did not harvest one. I bought the hunt on Ebay back in 2001 or 2002, I can't remember now, the price was 4 elk for $2000 total. I got three of my friends and we filled the freezer!! I still look for that kind of deal to this day on Ebay and would do it again if I could find one.

Better quality meat than in the stores!!!!!

rosewood

Better quality meat than in the stores!!!!!

True, but we keep our cows behind a not so high fence (they can't clear it anyway). Then we march them off and shoot them at close range in a pin, much like shooting fish in a barrel, but they taste good anyway and those folks buying it at the store are none the wiser.:stir:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
True, but we keep our cows behind a not so high fence (they can't clear it anyway). Then we march them off and shoot them at close range in a pin, much like shooting fish in a barrel, but they taste good anyway and those folks buying it at the store are none the wiser.:stir:

You should advertise them that way.
Open range,No stress,Corn fed beef.
You could get more money for it.:cheers:
Just don't tell them how you kilt them.

ProAngler

It IS illegal to hunt high fence deer in Georgia. Is that what you meant? Or are you wanting to pass a law that tells ME I can't high fence MY property. Don't tread on me

There are plenty of high fence deer hunting places in GA. Not illigal

Latest posts