hawken with iron sights

Jack Ryan

Jack why do you hate to clean it? I prefer cleanin my BP firearms over my smokeless firearms. I have a two liter coke bottle with the top cut off and I generally put a bit of dish washing liquid in the bottom and fill it with hot water and clean em in the bath tub and then rub em down with bore butter. Being an ex army guy I clean my guns more than once and the second and third trips I use TC #13 or some other modern BP solvent and season with bore butter or crisco.

Yeah. That's why.

I have a two liter coke bottle with the top cut off and I generally put a bit of dish washing liquid in the bottom and fill it with hot water and clean em in the bath tub and then rub em down with bore butter.

godogs57

Hand raised! I have a Hawken 54 caliber, Renegade 54 caliber and a Seneca 45 caliber...love 'em all. The Seneca stole my heart though...sort of the equivalent of a 4 weight fly rod in a world of graphite worm rods, so to speak. It is super light weight and beautiful.
TheSenecascores.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You mean like this?

FlPerc by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Yeah....I use 'em real regular like! They ain't wall-hangers!

Sweet rifles! The top one has a Leman trade rifle look, love that style. The plains rifle on the bottom has the lock on the wrong side, though. ::ke: :D

Inline scoped plastic muzzleloaders have no soul.

frankwright

I have always enjoyed shooting those rifles. I had a cabela's Hawken and a Lyman Trade rifle and right now I have a Trade Rifle Flintlock but I haven't got confident in shooting it yet.

I would hunt with nothing but the Hawken style gun for rifle hunting if my eyes weren't so bad. I am limited to about 40 yards with iron sights. Thinking of trying this rear sight.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/bullseye-rear-sight-prod27265.aspx

Darkhorse

You mean like this?

FlPerc by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Yeah....I use 'em real regular like! They ain't wall-hangers!

A couple of very nice looking Hawkens there Muldoon. I would take that LH Percussion if given the choice as I'm a southpaw and don't currently own a percussion.
I have had a couple of Hawkens in the past but now shoot flint longrifles. Shoulder problems in my right (support hand) shoulder no longer allow me to shoot the heavy straight barrels of the Hawkens. But the swamped barreled longrifles are still doable.

Muldoon

Southpaw!

A couple of very nice looking Hawkens there Muldoon. I would take that LH Percussion if given the choice as I'm a southpaw and don't currently own a percussion.
I have had a couple of Hawkens in the past but now shoot flint longrifles. Shoulder problems in my right (support hand) shoulder no longer allow me to shoot the heavy straight barrels of the Hawkens. But the swamped barreled longrifles are still doable.

Same here as my left eye is Master eye! The Caplock is a GRRW build and is really accurate....along with the flintlock as well! Flinter made by Tom Watson in Georgia. I've had no trouble shooting the flinter even though it's on the wrong side for me!

God Bless America!:flag::clap:

Roadking65

I also own a TC Hawken and took 2 very nice bucks with PRB's! First Musket kills ever for me!

Muldoon

I've got this hankerin.....

to put a PRB through a gobblers' head and today I found out just what kind of 'hold' it would take to make it work. Shot this from 50 yards. Higher shots were before I learned just what kind of fine bead to take and then the rifle shot 9 rounds into one ragged hole!

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

:flag::fine:

Darkhorse

If you could get one to hold it's head still your good to go. Personally I go for the body shot with a PRB. I've shot 2 with a .54 prb through the body and the damage is much less than you'd expect.

Muldoon

Hold still

If you could get one to hold it's head still your good to go. Personally I go for the body shot with a PRB. I've shot 2 with a .54 prb through the body and the damage is much less than you'd expect.

Darkhorse

I've seen old gobblers come in to a call....see a decoy and stand still just looking for a full minute or so without moving! Maybe one day I'll find one that's stupid!

:clap::yeah:

LOVEMYLABXS

Have had my Hawkins for around 40 years and have no itch to get or hunt with anything else.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG (800x562).jpg
    IMG (800x562).jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 296
  • Copy of 100_5764.JPG
    Copy of 100_5764.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 295

Jack Ryan

Jack why do you hate to clean it? I prefer cleanin my BP firearms over my smokeless firearms. I have a two liter coke bottle with the top cut off and I generally put a bit of dish washing liquid in the bottom and fill it with hot water and clean em in the bath tub and then rub em down with bore butter. Being an ex army guy I clean my guns more than once and the second and third trips I use TC #13 or some other modern BP solvent and season with bore butter or crisco.

I built a CVA Hawkenish firearm back in the early 80's. Got some home brewed stuff to brown the barrel and really liked that rifle. Dang kid that lived nearby stole it and I never got it back. Few years back I got a Traditions Deerhunter flintlock, it's kinda Hawkenish as well. I will be aquiring a much better rifle when I can afford it but I have ever intention of killing a few deer with what I have. Got my son a CVA Bobcat, and even tho it is a rather cheapish cap and ball rifle I imagine it will do the job.
Was that sarcasm?

I prefer cleanin my BP firearms over my smokeless firearms. I have a two liter coke bottle with the top cut off and I generally put a bit of dish washing liquid in the bottom and fill it with hot water and clean em in the bath tub and then rub em down with bore butter. Being an ex army guy I clean my guns more than once and the second and third trips I use TC #13 or some other modern BP solvent and season with bore butter or crisco.

Muldoon

I have always enjoyed shooting those rifles. I had a cabela's Hawken and a Lyman Trade rifle and right now I have a Trade Rifle Flintlock but I haven't got confident in shooting it yet.

I would hunt with nothing but the Hawken style gun for rifle hunting if my eyes weren't so bad. I am limited to about 40 yards with iron sights. Thinking of trying this rear sight.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/bullseye-rear-sight-prod27265.aspx

Go to Walmart and get a couple pair of their cheap glasses and try out! Sometimes it will only take an increase in diopter of 1/2 to make things work!!:flag::cheers:

leoparddog

Go to Walmart and get a couple pair of their cheap glasses and try out! Sometimes it will only take an increase in diopter of 1/2 to make things work!!:flag::cheers:

I agree with Muldoon - look at some glasses. If you have access to an eye doctor, visit him/her and talk to them. I have one set of eye glasses with different lenses in each eye. One for my dominant eye lets me see the front sight clearly, the other is for long distance vision. If you're older than 50 cataracts may also be coming into play.

Muldoon

Vision

If you use your vision correctly for shooting and using barrel sights....it's impossible for the eye to focus on more than one object at the same time! The rear sight is used basically for correct alignment (right/left) and the front sight is the one that must be seen clearly! The bull or whatever is the shooters target should be a slight blur...not seen clearly! If the shooter is seeing the target clearly at shot break.....that isn't correct!:eek::cry:

leoparddog

Exactly right Muldoon, but if both the front and rear sights are a blurry mess, getting a correction for your aiming eye and the focal point for the front sight helps a bunch. Yes the target is a bit fuzzy with that eye, but it really does help and with handguns too.

Muldoon

Those scopes are as useless as teats on a boar hog!!

Stay with the irons!

Darkhorse

I made simple peep sights for my rifles and it's the best thing I've done for my shooting. I don't want to shoot a muzzleloader with anything but open iron or peep sights. But my eyes got to the point I couldn't shoot with any kind of accuracy. These simple peeps could be fit to any traditional rifle and are inconspicious compared to many sighting systems used to combat older age and old eyes.
This is a link to a post about these sights from a year or so ago.
http://forum.gon.com/threads/peep-sight-for-older-eyes.895225/

The rear sight is small enough to be hardly noticed at all.
SS850099 (1024x768).jpg
And shooting a gobbler in the head is doable.
Turkey head.jpg