Salami?

Artfuldodger

I just had a few slices of Oscar Mayer hard salami with some various cheeses and crackers for a snack.
I've always been fond of hard salami over the cotto(cooked) type. It kinda reminds me of pepperoni but not quite as spicy.

I was reading a bit about Genoa Salami preferred by some over hard salami. I might have to try some various brands of those. I see some on Amazon covered in a white casing and some come in a paper casing covered in mold.

Molinari is a brand I saw still wrapped in paper and mold. Some of these are also referred to "dry salami."

I guess I'll just have to get busy and try a few different brands.

ilbcnu

to truly appreciate any dry salami remember that a razor thin slice will allows all the delicate flavor to come through.

Artfuldodger

Wow, thanks for that link! That should give me some interesting choices to try.
Related to salami, my daughter recently bought a small stick of imported pepperoni from an international market. She served it at a small get together and they didn't like it. They said they like the americanized Hormel type. I liked it. It had a stronger flavor than Hormel.
I would think there to be a lot of variations in salami as well. Actually all of the dried hams and sausages. Prosciutto as well. I saw some dried and fermented tenderloin that looked good.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Fried salami on a grilled sharp cheese on Rye, with mustard. Pretty tasty

99Tarbox

Artfuldodger

I would love to try making some dried and fermented sausages. I'll probably start with some simple ham, butt, or tenderloin non-fermented cures. Maybe just a basic salt cure in a box or something. I did buy some buckboard bacon cure from Hi Mountain Seasonings but I haven't made any yet.

Maybe experiment with Morton's Tender-quick. I no of folks that use to cure hams with just salt in a box and nothing else.

This tenderloin looks interesting;

http://www.porktenderloin.org/dry-cured/

99Tarbox

I did several hams that were documented on here in the past...