Are hunters in the northern deer zone being

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
So if its allowed in the southern zone and not in the northern zone with no logical explanation that would make it unfair. Am I missing something here?

Northern legislators voted no bait. As said talk to them.
Southern voted to bait.
Why it got voted that way I do not know.
Is it unfair, maybe. But it should save you a lot of money. These boys down here put it out heavy & the hogs eat it. :biggrin3:

transfixer

So if its allowed in the southern zone and not in the northern zone with no logical explanation that would make it unfair. Am I missing something here?

Don't know that its true, but I was told the the agricultural people were on the politicians to pass it, due to the damage deer do to crops ? Since much of south ga is mostly farming land , I suppose it could be true?

transfixer

Somewhere back in time we messed up by allowing politicians to have anything to do with setting game regulations and seasons, seems to me it should at least be done by biologists, or people that are actually out in the woods hunting and fishing. Instead we have politicians voting on those regulations that think all edible meat and fish come from Publix or Kroger !!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Knowing the habits of mature whitetail bucks in the south is better than a wagon full of corn.
If a buck in the south develops a habit of eating corn in the daylite, he ain't going to last long. Doe either where I hunt. They pop them the 1st week & want to know why they aren't seeing deer. :)

Katalee

DNR just like us better here in the south. Or maybe we need every advantage we can get to be successful, cause we sure don't know how to hunt.

jigman29

My opinion is because we have all the public land up here. Imagine the fights wed have over someone hunting anothers corn pile. We already have people that argue over the drop of a hat. I would just as soon it stay in the southern zone myself. I hunt there and its fine but I don't want it up here. Too many problems.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
My opinion is because we have all the public land up here. Imagine the fights wed have over someone hunting anothers corn pile. We already have people that argue over the drop of a hat. I would just as soon it stay in the southern zone myself. I hunt there and its fine but I don't want it up here. Too many problems.

Corn is not allowed on public land. Not legally anyway.

another bait thread

wow

I saw the GW at the country store. There sat a pallet of whole corn, he said "I'm going to catch everybody in these parts baiting these deer"...

without missing a beat I said " you better go get you some help"..

s&r

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Southern zoner here. No bait. I do better without it. Not sure how or why they legalized it, and why they didn't up north, but look here: crop damage is a real thing. So if that was part of the equation, it was highly worth considering imo.