Worms in corn feeder?

sowgabuckstalker

I had never see this before. Have spinner style feeder, went to check them yesterday and one was jammed so I had to unclog the funnel. There were worms in there? Whats going on there? How did they get in feeder? Sorry if I seem so ignorant. I take it the corn is bad?

Gator89

If we don't keep it in the freezer, we get grain insects in our rice sealed in a Tupperware container.

The eggs of the insects occur naturally, some corn is treated with insect growth regulators for long term storage. But, not all elevators treat their grain and or storage bins, the eggs will eventually hatch.

Was the corn moldy also? Moisture will usually result in molding before insects.

Davexx1

Dump all of the old corn out of the feeder, clean the inside well making sure you get all of the old and soured corn out so it doesn't contaminate new corn, dry it out thoroughly. Look it over good and try to figure out if it was leaking and how water got inside. Seal/repair as needed then refill with clean dry corn and restart.

Squirrels will chew holes in the plastic lids allowing water to drip in. Always make sure the corn you are going to put in the feeder is clean and dry. When the feeder lid is open, never let a single drip/drop of water, sweat, dew, etc. get in the corn.

Dave

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
if the bream wont eat a meal worm they ain't biting anything