Deal on a deer sled— Update report

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Good eye there. That seems to be a good deal.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Nice find! That should also make it a little easier to drag one out.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I dragged the hair off a couple last season not being able to lift them onto the atv. This will help in getting them to the truck where I keep my deer lift.

rshunter

I ordered one and received it today. Its very flimsy, you can manipulate it and basically turn it inside out with just your hand. I thought it would be a little more rigid like what kids slide on the snow and ice with, but it is not. First root or snag you go over with it and it will probably puncture and/or rip. Just wanted to share, in case anyone else was thinking of buying one, FWIW. Good luck to all this upcoming season.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I ordered one and received it today. Its very flimsy, you can manipulate it and basically turn it inside out with just your hand. I thought it would be a little more rigid like what kids slide on the snow and ice with, but it is not. First root or snag you go over with it and it will probably puncture and/or rip. Just wanted to share, in case anyone else was thinking of buying one, FWIW. Good luck to all this upcoming season.

Agreed that it is thin. And it will likely puncture easily but I think it it will hold together to avoid dragging hide off

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
It is comparable to a Rubbermaid tub in thickness. Maybe a little thinner

Silver Britches

Well, at least it may be useful in helping to keep blood from getting in your vehicle. :D

They're more expensive, but a deer cart is hard to beat.

Deer Cart.JPG

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Cart = work. :cry:

The sled will be for rolling a deer into and dragging with atv. I keep a lift in my truck to raise it into the bed.

Silver Britches

That a Buckshot stand?
I love mine.
Thinking about getting a cart.

Yes, it's one of the original Cadillac stands from around 1990. I have two and my father has one. They're great stands.

And I highly recommend a deer cart. Mine is well over 20 years old, and has been a life saver. You still have to do a little work getting a deer out, though, but anything beats dragging! :D

If interested, here is the cart that I own. I got mine from Cabelas years ago. The metal on mine was brown and the cover is camo, instead of black. I painted mine to cut down on the glare.

Cart = work. :cry:

The sled will be for rolling a deer into and dragging with atv. I keep a lift in my truck to raise it into the bed.

I can't ride an atv to get deer out in most of the places I like to hunt, so I have to drag, or use my deer cart to get them out. If I have plenty of water to cross, I'll float a deer to the other side, then go get the cart. The cart isn't much help when you have a lot of water to cross, or where it's real boggy. It just don't roll very good through water or thick mud. In these situations, you're better off dragging- till you reach solid ground, of course. :D

Last edited:

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I used one for the first time last year. I bought mine from a sports store it is high quality- I am not sure how it compares to the Home Depot model.

I killed a buck this year 400 feet in a swamp. All up hill drag. I called a friend with an ATV to come help me. In the mean time I used the sled and began the drag. It was rough terrain and I was able to drag him up before the ATV got to me. Pretty easy actually...it will be a permanent piece of hunting gear. Recommend those who hunt off a beaten path. Mine held up well. Recommend a heavy duty drag strap (I got a GP Strap at the Army Navy store)

Eudora

Visit your local auto salvage yard and get a car hood. Cheap, durable and can be used for dragging other heavy loads too.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Visit your local auto salvage yard and get a car hood. Cheap, durable and can be used for dragging other heavy loads too.

Good idea, how much did they charge for a car hood ?

ben300win

Look up Deer Sleigher sled. Heavy duty plastic that rolls up into about a 4" roll by 2' long. Very good for dragging a deer out.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Grandkids already putting the sled to use behind the golf cart

Attachments

• IMG_3021.jpg
    IMG_3021.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 242

Eudora

Paid $20 for the last car hood from a salvage yard. Came off a small import car so not too big. Has support ribs to keep it from flexing which offers ample locations to connect tie down straps. Also, the way it has a lip in front to be aerodynamic when on a car makes it great when flipped over so it skims perfectly over the ground. Very versatile and pretty much indestructible. Hauled deer, firewood, treestands, bags of seed and just about everything else and still tagging behind when hooked to my 4 wheeler.

Hillbilly stalker

seen a lot of people use a piece of scrap linoleum. Its easy to put grommets in and when it wears out, you haven't lost much.