Flounder Gigging Report

hunterofopportunity

When you go gigging what tide do you prefer, incoming for the cleaner water? And do you gig mud or sand bottoms, this is something I have never done but it seems like it would be and adventure.

trippcasey

I dont like to go on full high tide unless it is outgoing. This is because the water is too far in the grass or up the bank. The banks I drift are usually a mix of sand, then mud, then shells, or all three mixed together. Stabbing them in the soft mud is rough because sometimes they will sink in the mud when you gig them. Id rather do sandy bottom but they aren't always there. Just like fishing you have to find the clearer water with the best visibility, and even then you might not find the fish. I try to limit my movements as much as possible depending on conditions in the dark. I like to have a few spots I can move to that are fairly close and account for hiding from winds as much as I can. Winds not only muddy the water, they make poling difficult too. Winds will ruin your night more than any other condition I have experienced out there. I havent been gigging for too long, but usually when I have a bad night it is because the winds are hard to hide from.

leftystar

Me and Pops went the weekend of the 15th and able to get 11. We gig oyster bars and usually doesnt last longer than about 1 1/2 2 hours. I have notice the further away a led light is away from water the better we can see the bottom. We are kinda new to gigging we only go on a stretch about 300 yards long. Do you guys Gig at any tide ?

Last edited:

trippcasey

Me and Pops went the weekend of the 22nd and able to get 11. We gig oyster bars and usually doesnt last longer than about 1 1/2 2 hours. I have notice the further away a led light is away from water the better we can see the bottom. We are kinda new to gigging we only go on a stretch about 300 yards long. Do you guys Gig at any tide ?

I will gig any tide, mainly because I dont get the chance to go often so it doesnt matter what tide it is to me. Water clarity is what makes or breaks a night. We went Friday night and had a hard time finding clear water with the new moon tides. Once we found some clear water, we stabbed 3 and went home. It was about 1am when we finally found clear water, so we were ready to get home anyway. One was a nice 20" fish.

drdarby45

Anyone who wants to go let me know. Shoot me a Pm. Been doing good in em lately. Got these this morning(9/6/17)

Attachments

• IMG_1391.jpg
    IMG_1391.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 112