timber cutting

00Beau

Went to check on timber thinning today, they shut down at about 4:30 and left, by 5:00 the does were walking in the rowes that had been cut 30 minutes earlier. Did not bother them at all, walking around being noisy and feeding.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Generally timber cutting does not bother the deer....have seen their tracks within a few feet of skidders as they walked by at night.

I think the deer are really interested on all the browse that comes available from logging.

dpoole

bet you did not see any turkeys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Public Land Prowler

Yup.I knew a guy who was cutting on his club.He would make his last cut,back up,sit on top of his machine and wait.I have talked to loggers as they were shutting down on a friday,and shot deer that evening/weekend at the edge of their cut line.

00Beau

bet you did not see any turkeys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually found a fan feather that was not there yesterday, he must have flown across creek where it was laying, but did not see him.

bhouston

thinning in Hancock

300.....where are you in Hancock..?? I signed contract for timber company to thin my property off SR 15/Pine Bloom. He pulled off the job three months ago and said that he didnt have quota to take any timber right now. Who is thinning your property...also, if you can PM me with pricing details so I can consider terminating my contract. I really need to get the thining done so I can start planting the rows, etc.

simpleman30

the biggest buck i have ever seen in my entire life was within 30 yards of a peice of equipment.

when i was 13, my grandpa and i had just finished setting a stand on the friday evening before opening day. we were walking back across a fresh cut clear-cut and saw the biggest bodied and biggest antlered deer i've ever seen to this day; and this was in north bryan county, ga. he was within 30 steps of a bulldozer and his coat was almost black, like he'd been laying in the mud. the guys operating equipment had told us about him previously, but after that evening, no one ever saw the deer again.

deer will investigate any land disturbance, whether it's a clearcut or a freshly plowed garden plot. some of my favorite still-hunting spots are over recently disturbed land.

Booner Killa

I can't wait to see the place when all that thinning is done. I can't wait to see the plots you get planted. It's gonna be pretty my man!!!

Public Land Prowler

Yup that growth that they can finally reach in the form of broken limbs/trees,the new growth that grows from the ground being disturbed,and sometimes I think the smell of crushed leaves/turned up dirt,gets their tummy's hungry..They love firebreaks,and plowed fields draw them as well...I think I remember cpowell got a nice buck on camera after he did some tractor work.

bhouston..not to pry but the guy may be legit.I'd make one more call to him first...The market slowed tremendously.They just started increasing wood intake at the mills in our area in the last few weeks.They were turning loggers away.I keep in touch with loggers(with my job),and they said the same thing that guy told you,but things have been looking up lately.