You can't believe unless God let's you believe - Welder?

welderguy

Learning everything you can about anything can be advantageous at some point.
But to specifically answer your question, yes that would be one advantage. If Christianity (or any other religion, group etc) seeks to impose its beliefs in ways that affect my life, then it would be advantageous to me to understand where they are coming up with these "rules" and why. Then I can make an informed decision as to whether I am for or against.

Because you are satisfied with what you "know".

I have found that it's society that imposes itself on me, more than me on society. In general, I try to live a quiet and peaceful life with regard to my beliefs, but there are times when silence is not an option.

WaltL1

I have found that it's society that imposes itself on me, more than me on society. In general, I try to live a quiet and peaceful life with regard to my beliefs, but there are times when silence is not an option.
That might be true for you.
But you also belong to the Christian club.
The Christian club has a long history of imposing its rules on others.
If you are a Christian that's just a fact of your history.
Cant whine now that the worm is turning.

welderguy

That might be true for you.
But you also belong to the Christian club.
The Christian club has a long history of imposing its rules on others.
If you are a Christian that's just a fact of your history.
Cant whine now that the worm is turning.

In your honest estimation, do you think society has done more imposing on Christianity, or Christianity on society.
Notice we're speaking of imposing, not influencing.(one's active, one's passive)

atlashunter

Seems to me that an unbeliever would not even concern himself with such matters. After all, he doesn't even believe any of it to be true, right?
Why even take the effort to ask about it or argue against it?:huh:

Is it a kinda "just in case" thing? curiosity thing? love of debate thing?

We learned on 9/11 that superstition should not go unchallenged. Beliefs do matter because they inform actions with real world consequences.

welderguy

We learned on 9/11 that superstition should not go unchallenged. Beliefs do matter because they inform actions with real world consequences.

But that's why you deal with the action, not the belief. Our society says everyone has a right to believe what they choose, but they do not have the right to certain acts.

WaltL1

In your honest estimation, do you think society has done more imposing on Christianity, or Christianity on society.
Notice we're speaking of imposing, not influencing.(one's active, one's passive)
This question is more complicated than it seems.
The parts of society who were Christian wouldn't feel imposed upon.
The parts of society who weren't, probably would.

Strictly from a "who ruled the roost, influenced the law, was taught in schools" etc, it wasn't the Muslims, or Atheists or Agnostics, or Native Americans or........

On the flip side,
If these days Christianity willingly changes itself because of society changing, then society isn't imposing, Christianity is willingly changing.

You could even say this "new fangled" Christianity is imposing on "old school" Christianity.

welderguy

This question is more complicated than it seems.
The parts of society who were Christian wouldn't feel imposed upon.
The parts of society who weren't, probably would.

Strictly from a "who ruled the roost, influenced the law, was taught in schools" etc, it wasn't the Muslims, or Atheists or Agnostics, or Native Americans or........

On the flip side,
If these days Christianity willingly changes itself because of society changing, then society isn't imposing, Christianity is willingly changing.

You could even say this "new fangled" Christianity is imposing on "old school" Christianity.

I agree.
And , you really nailed it with your last statement. This thread demonstrates that quite well, I think.