PCUSA slowly melting away ...

centerpin fan

In the world of progressive Christianity, two plus two equals five and a circle is indeed a square. Demonstrating their denial of the law of non-contradiction, within the relativistic world of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) or PCUSA, losing almost 90,000 members in a single calendar year is not evidence of a dying denomination; it signals that the denomination is reforming. Losing around six percent of the liberal Presbyterian denomination's membership in twelve months is apparently a good thing, not a bad thing.

In the last four years, the PCUSA has shed around 300,000 members, and the denomination has dipped under 1.5 million members (in 2010, the PCUSA boasted a membership roll of over two million). That's not an insignificant loss of membership. Based on the current pace, the PCUSA will have less than a million members by 2024. If the trend isn't halted, the PCUSA could be nonexistent by mid-century....

https://pjmedia.com/faith/2017/05/29/another-liberal-denomination-is-dying/

gordon 2

In the world of progressive Christianity, two plus two equals five and a circle is indeed a square. Demonstrating their denial of the law of non-contradiction, within the relativistic world of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) or PCUSA, losing almost 90,000 members in a single calendar year is not evidence of a dying denomination; it signals that the denomination is reforming. Losing around six percent of the liberal Presbyterian denomination's membership in twelve months is apparently a good thing, not a bad thing.

In the last four years, the PCUSA has shed around 300,000 members, and the denomination has dipped under 1.5 million members (in 2010, the PCUSA boasted a membership roll of over two million). That's not an insignificant loss of membership. Based on the current pace, the PCUSA will have less than a million members by 2024. If the trend isn't halted, the PCUSA could be nonexistent by mid-century....

https://pjmedia.com/faith/2017/05/29/another-liberal-denomination-is-dying/

Ok. So are there other Presbyterian denominations in the US? No more that draw from the Covenanters?

Quote{Covenanters started their migration to North America by way of Ireland. Having come to Ireland for religious, economic, and political reasons throughout the Seventeenth Century, Scottish Presbyterians, including Covenanters, once again for religious, economic, and political reasons felt compelled to migrate again. The migration is usually dated from the year 1717, when preacher William Tennent, founder of Log College, the first Presbyterian seminary in North America, came with his family to the Philadelphia area. In North America Covenanters became known as members of the Reformed Presbyterian Church. They were among the most vocal agitators for independence from Great Britain and volunteered in large numbers as soldiers in the revolutionary armies. The Covenanters were opposed to slavery, and in 1800 the Reformed Church voted to outlaw slave-holding among its members.} end Quote

Source: Wiki, Covenanters.

gemcgrew

We have recently moved to Nashville and one of my wife's co-workers recommended a Presbyterian Church close to us. They pay her to sing in the choir. All of the choir members are payed and none of them are members of the church. They wanted a more professional display for their broadcast.

I'll have to let you know how it goes tomorrow. ;)

Artfuldodger

We have recently moved to Nashville and one of my wife's co-workers recommended a Presbyterian Church close to us. They pay her to sing in the choir. All of the choir members are payed and none of them are members of the church. They wanted a more professional display for their broadcast.

I've noticed a lot of Churches pay the organist. In most churches I've been to the preacher's wife played the piano.
In my sister's Church the preacher's mom plays the piano and she's might near a hundred.

centerpin fan

How was it? :pop: