Buckshot: Minimum Pattern = Maximum Effective Range

Dustin

I'm all for patterning a shotgun, but I would have found a different gun before I went that far. At least you have a gun that shoots good now.

I just played with it for a couple years, I didn't stress over it or anything, matter of a fact i killed several deer with it when it was the same as i bought it.

I mainly just wanted to see what it would do.

Scrapy

Banned
Why not just shoot a smaller-caliber rifle with a holographic sight like an AR15? You can shoot five shots fast and fairly accurate and not worry about having to shoot buckshot at all. Plus the down range penetration/accuracy is vastly superior.

I think they are talking about having standers and deer driving with dogs. I doubt any stander nor driver would hunt if somebody was using an AR15.

Last edited:

Riverrat84

What's so funny to me is on a regular basis there's a post on the deer hunting page talking about how sick they are about the deer they bloodied up and lost with their rifle or bow especially. I don't recall them posts being that regular on here. It's pretty simple though if you don't like dog hunters that shoot buck shot then don't get on the dog hunting forum.

Scrapy

Banned
Back before Deer dog hunting got basically took away from us by a small # of Florida hunters with a 500 acre lease, Buckshot was used for effect at close range, You couldn't see far and had to shoot quick. The dogs would come back out if it was dead or keep on going if it was missed or barely hit. No real need for blood tracking.

I know and have met a good many Florida hunters. They are fine enough folks it seem to me. The problem to me seems to be the local Agents that set up the deer leases. That have some sway but not as much as they think they have , and have some expendable money to buy a "time certain" "option " on timber company land. The goal then becomes finding enough Florida Hunters with money to "BUY RIGHTS" for a hole dangum year. Correct me if I am wrong but I dare you.

Then these "local" "Agents" that are not regulated for sub- leaseing land get cranked up on magazine principals about deer "bedding and non-disturbance" . Ain't that a joke? Even the older Florida hunters know that is a joke.

I my humble depinion, there is no tract in GA nor SC big enough to be called "wilderness" . if YOU GET "TURNED AROUND" all you got to do is keep heading in the same direction without walking in circles , for a couple of hours. You will hit a fire line or a trail road or a drain . If you got to bog then bog it. If you got to swim then swim it. Or just stay put. Silence; and expecting not to hear a yard dog bark or a van truck horn toot anywhere in these two States is axing a lot for a temporary lease.

Last edited:

Scrapy

Banned
I kind of like the florida yankee hunters I have met that don't believe too much of the yard dog barking crowd in magaznes A few of them even seem more inclined to just be here and when they hear a dog bark don't just go crazy.. Much better attuned to us. Old Florida way of doing things .Maybe like the Coast OF GA.

I understand that florida folks got over run with folks that had money to burn. Thank goodness most of this land around here is privately/ farmed and owned. Can and will or can or will NOT lease a piece of it .

How little? How little of a piece of POW line ROW you willing to rent? ROW; Right of Way. CONTROL ? Is that what you are about? Rent fellers? For ya'll that do not understand ROW .

Nannyman

I think they are talking about having standers and deer driving with dogs. I doubt any stander nor driver would hunt if somebody was using an AR15.

I use an AR15 as my deer rifle. 6.&mm. It is very accurate and is semiauto. No one I have met have any issue with it being an "AR".
Fortunately remarks such as yours have not created an "anti" response from hunters.

Scrapy

Banned
I use an AR15 as my deer rifle. 6.&mm. It is very accurate and is semiauto. No one I have met have any issue with it being an "AR".
Fortunately remarks such as yours have not created an "anti" response from hunters.

You have people willing to stand 100 yards from you on flat ground with brush and let you shoot at a moving deer with dogs after it with a rifle? I'm not anti. Just have better sense. This is about buckshot which has implications for the type of hunting being done.

dieselengine9

Had a club member tell another member once "I knew I wasn't going to hit you when I shot because I could see you off to the side in my scope when I shot." Rifles are safe in some instances but surrounding a block isn't one of them.

Nannyman

You guys must have very little clue. Most standees here use rifles and semi auto at that. Now we don't sit stands 100yds apart very often. Mostly standing on my dog box. Elevated stand. Most recent hunter shot while dog hunting was with a shotgun with buckshot. Quite a few years ago.

Scrapy

Banned
Ok I believe I do not have a clue. I also believe I won't be on a dog drive where they are using rifles. You do what you want.

Nannyman

Ok I believe I do not have a clue. I also believe I won't be on a dog drive where they are using rifles. You do what you want.

Anyone who is interested may ride with me and see what it's all about.
I am glad you are not interested.

A reality to think about...

...before relying on a 100 yard "Golden BB" hit:

Most of todays 00B pellets run close to .323" in diameter and 50 grains by weight.
When fired from a 2.75" magnum 12 pellet load these start at some 1250 fps.

Entering these figures into a round ball ballistic program reveals that by the time such a 00B pellet reaches 100 yards it is moving just under 720 fps and retains less than 60 fpe. That is approximately equal to the power of a .31 cap and ball revolver at the muzzle or a .32 caliber muzzleloading round ball squirrel rifle at 150 yards. Or a .25ACP 50 grain bullet at the muzzle!

On the other hand:

When half of the pellets from a 12 pellet 00B load strike a deer in the vitals at 40 yards - that is another story altogether!

Last edited:

LT6767

I used an OLD Iver Johnson single shot 20ga with a full choke for deer. With Remington #3 buckshot it'll put 8-10 of the 20 pellets in a 15in spot at 35yds. All I have to do is lay the bead on top of were I want pattern to go and I pull the trigger. Interestingly enough, Federal and Winchester buckshot won't pattern at all. It doughnut rings both loads. So far I've dropped two bucks dead in their tracks with the old 20ga; one at 17yds and another at 35yds. 35yds is also my limit. If I have a spot in the jungle where I hunt that'll take a longer shot, I'll take the 30-30 in with me.

Stetson

Going from memory.......but I believe Georgia law states if there's more than 4 hunters involved in a dog hunt, rifles are not allowed.

In any event, it's mostly a buckshot kinda experience here. With stand lines stood tight, and shooters on the ground, rifles are too dangerous. If legal, in industrial forest settings and big woods roads with people spread out.......I can see where rifles could be used safely and affectively. But just not doable in a dense pine forest with narrow, crooked woods roads.

Its about time to start...

...wiping out the shooting eye and get ready for the upcoming deer season. You know, the usual things like repairing the dog box, checking out the electronic dog tracking collars, switching out street wheels and tires for hunting season mud grips, shooting several rounds of skeet and patterning buckshot loads!

Manufacturers often make running changes in buckshot loads that are often not reflected in their advertising and these changes can have a positive or negative effect on patterns from your shotgun and choke combination. The only way to know is by pattern testing!

groundhawg

Going from memory.......but I believe Georgia law states if there's more than 4 hunters involved in a dog hunt, rifles are not allowed.

In any event, it's mostly a buckshot kinda experience here. With stand lines stood tight, and shooters on the ground, rifles are too dangerous. If legal, in industrial forest settings and big woods roads with people spread out.......I can see where rifles could be used safely and affectively. But just not doable in a dense pine forest with narrow, crooked woods roads.

What? Got to see that reg.
Thanks.

GunnSmokeer

for what it's worth, I shot a skinny little plastic portable radio with a 3" magnum shell, 20 gauge, #2 buckshot the other day.
From about 25 feet.

My pattern was about 8" wide, which was much wider than I expected at only about 8 yards, since I was used a modified-choke barrel.

And NONE of those .27 caliber pellets fully penetrated the radio and exited. They messed it up something awful, but not a single soft lead pellet could make it through two layers of plastic and one printed circuit board and some wires and diodes and capacitors.

This was a small AM/ FM only radio, about 6" tall, 7" wide, and only 2" thick.

I was not impressed. For self-defense, penetration like that seems marginal. For hunting big game, it seems inadequate. It would be like shooting a deer (or hog) 10 times with a .22 revolver loaded with .22 shorts.

Nannyman

I have no true wish to defend lead buckshot, but you have to realize a radio gives no resistance to the shot. No penetration just the radio being blasted away from the impact.
For those who use lead it is a matter of pattern and reasonable range.
It is also the same with Tungsten, but range and pattern are greater with Tungsten.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I miss Scrapy