Lanier Stripers

Rabun

I haven't seen many posts lately. Typically when I go out this time of year they are keying in on small threadfins...is that the case now? Hoping to get after them between Xmas and New Years.

Bingle Jells Everyone!

Coenen

It's been kind of a mixed bag this year. Maybe it's because I only fish one relatively small slice of the lake, but I haven't seen the numbers of fish that I saw last year. Bait wise, I've had most of my success with the smaller shiners. Haven't seen much in the way of surface action, or any really large groups of fish. I've been finding one here, and one there, mostly out towards the mouth of the creek.

I know from social media that some of the guides are still finding the big schools around, but that's not something I've seen since mid-November. The word from a lot of the reports is that it's a real mixed bag bait wise too.

crankie

I've been wondering about the "Combat Fishing" on Lanier. I just have not heard anything about that at least in the last few years it seems. Have the stripers surface schooling activities in Fall not been the same anymore? Just curious.

Rabun

It's been kind of a mixed bag this year. Maybe it's because I only fish one relatively small slice of the lake, but I haven't seen the numbers of fish that I saw last year. Bait wise, I've had most of my success with the smaller shiners. Haven't seen much in the way of surface action, or any really large groups of fish. I've been finding one here, and one there, mostly out towards the mouth of the creek.

I know from social media that some of the guides are still finding the big schools around, but that's not something I've seen since mid-November. The word from a lot of the reports is that it's a real mixed bag bait wise too.

Thanks Coenen! I did read that the turn over has completed so maybe things will pick up. I've read a couple of reports and those recommended a mix bag of baits like you said fished around large schools of bait, following the birds and dragging the umbrella. With the cooler weather moving in next week, I think I'll concentrate toward mid creek and in the afternoons.

Thanks for your reply! Merry Christmas!

Rabun

I've been wondering about the "Combat Fishing" on Lanier. I just have not heard anything about that at least in the last few years it seems. Have the stripers surface schooling activities in Fall not been the same anymore? Just curious.

Seems like I haven't seen much surface activity on any lake I've been on this year. Many moons ago a well known lanier guide introduced me to the term "combat fishing". Since then I've seen it applied to other scenarios...like drifting through a narrow salt water pass when the pompano bite was on in particular. That was a wild morning with many boats drifting and hooking up but everyone played nice and worked together....was actually quite impressed with the cooperation and team work from total strangers. Would like to see more of that!

Coenen

Thanks Coenen! I did read that the turn over has completed so maybe things will pick up. I've read a couple of reports and those recommended a mix bag of baits like you said fished around large schools of bait, following the birds and dragging the umbrella. With the cooler weather moving in next week, I think I'll concentrate toward mid creek and in the afternoons.

Thanks for your reply! Merry Christmas!
Yeah, I usually go off of Mack's report in formulating what I'm going to do for the day. Generally, I've stuck with the shiners for bait, since they're cheap, and easy to keep alive. I added a few small trout to the spread last week, and didn't get any interest. Go figure.

I think you're on the right track with your placement and timing, I haven't had much early action for a while now. That could just mean it takes a while to paddle to the spot, but I'm not so sure. Focus on areas that get a lot of sun throughout the day. Start out towards the mouth of whatever creek, and investigate the first couple of major pockets/inlets. That has seemed to be the ticket.

I'm not really trusting the birds much (yet) this year. It seems like the gulls are mostly following around and harassing the loons in my neck of the woods. It may be blasphemy, but I haven't seen a strong correlation between working birds and fish this season the way I have in the past. You may want to have a pair of binoculars on the boat so you can get a good look at working birds without having to make a big move.

One good turn deserves another on information. I may not know much, but I'm happy to share what I've seen and done, and whether or not it's worked. :cheers:

Rabun

Yeah, I usually go off of Mack's report in formulating what I'm going to do for the day. Generally, I've stuck with the shiners for bait, since they're cheap, and easy to keep alive. I added a few small trout to the spread last week, and didn't get any interest. Go figure.

I think you're on the right track with your placement and timing, I haven't had much early action for a while now. That could just mean it takes a while to paddle to the spot, but I'm not so sure. Focus on areas that get a lot of sun throughout the day. Start out towards the mouth of whatever creek, and investigate the first couple of major pockets/inlets. That has seemed to be the ticket.

I'm not really trusting the birds much (yet) this year. It seems like the gulls are mostly following around and harassing the loons in my neck of the woods. It may be blasphemy, but I haven't seen a strong correlation between working birds and fish this season the way I have in the past. You may want to have a pair of binoculars on the boat so you can get a good look at working birds without having to make a big move.

One good turn deserves another on information. I may not know much, but I'm happy to share what I've seen and done, and whether or not it's worked. :cheers:

Much appreciated! Planning on headed out Tues and a couple of days following. I'll let you know what I find out for sure. Will you be on the water any next week? If so what are you paddling and where abouts might you be...I'll try and look you up if our timing syncs up.

Thanks Man!

Coenen

Much appreciated! Planning on headed out Tues and a couple of days following. I'll let you know what I find out for sure. Will you be on the water any next week? If so what are you paddling and where abouts might you be...I'll try and look you up if our timing syncs up.

Thanks Man!
I'm a South End guy. Bald Ridge Creek is home. I'm also a 9-5er, so it's almost all weekend fishing for me. It looks like I might have a couple of weather windows over the weekend, so I'm going to try and sneak out. Assuming I make it out, I'll let you know if I put together anything substantive pattern wise.

If you see a grey camo sit-on top 'yak, pulling a full spread of flatlines and boards in BR, it's a fair bet that it's me.

Rabun

Thanks that would be great. I hope you get some action this weekend...it's got to be some kind of excitement catching a Striper from a yak!! I'll keep an eye peeled for you when I'm out and let u know how we make out later in the week.

SouthGa Fisher

I caught my first Lanier striper on my yak about a month ago. It was absolutely insane and it was only maybe 6-7 pounds.

Btw Coenen, I installed my Helix on the yak, best decision I've made. It took all of about 15 minutes. It helps alot on the Georgia Power lakes where there isn't much info online.

Coenen

It's got to be some kind of excitement catching a Striper from a yak!!
It's a blast! The bigger ones don't even really notice you're there, they just start towing the kayak around right off the bat. Then things get really interesting when it comes to land them! Even with a big, stable 'yak, they'll test you.

I've not had a chance to tangle with a really big one yet, but I'm hoping to get lucky sometime soon.
I caught my first Lanier striper on my yak about a month ago. It was absolutely insane and it was only maybe 6-7 pounds.

Btw Coenen, I installed my Helix on the yak, best decision I've made. It took all of about 15 minutes. It helps alot on the Georgia Power lakes where there isn't much info online.
If you're pulling bait with multiple rods, just wait until you get a double or triple. Even with small fish, you'll have a conundrum on your hands.

I wish my install had gone that smoothly! :bounce: Mostly that was down to my ham-fisted approach, and not having the right tools and hardware handy from the get-go. If I had to do it again, I think it'd go a lot easier! :biggrin2: Also, I'd probably cheat and buy an adapter bracket instead of trying to DIY one.

Rabun

Well, don't have much to offer after two cold days of fishing. Never got on any kind of bite. Fished from 4mile cr to Gainesville marina hitting creeks and pockets along the way. Mixed bag of baits, free lines, downlines, umbrellas...nada ...just a few green fish.

Hope somebody got some action.

Teh Wicked

My first bigger striper in the yak resulted in a lost fish and a sore hand.

Got him along side the boat and it was every bit of 35+" and he absolutely lost his CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored mind. I had hold of the downline weight and he smack my hand into the side of the yak, I let go of the line and then his tail proceeded to use that downline weight as a hammer on my hand as I tried to corral him. Then....POP...leader snapped and he was gone.

j_seph

It's a blast! The bigger ones don't even really notice you're there, they just start towing the kayak around right off the bat. Then things get really interesting when it comes to land them! Even with a big, stable 'yak, they'll test you.

I've not had a chance to tangle with a really big one yet, but I'm hoping to get lucky sometime soon.
If you're pulling bait with multiple rods, just wait until you get a double or triple. Even with small fish, you'll have a conundrum on your hands.

I wish my install had gone that smoothly! :bounce: Mostly that was down to my ham-fisted approach, and not having the right tools and hardware handy from the get-go. If I had to do it again, I think it'd go a lot easier! :biggrin2: Also, I'd probably cheat and buy an adapter bracket instead of trying to DIY one.

Guess what is under my deck, teacher?

Coenen

A yuppie in yak training...I knew it all along :rofl:
Ouch! Anybody get the number of that bus? :bounce:
It's a yak to follow you around for training
Hahaha, Well, at least I've got one guy fooled! Now if I could just start fooling some fish! Plenty of guys here on the board that have more game fishing out of a plastic boat than me, but I'm happy to share what I know, for whatever it's worth.

I fish out of my 'yak the same way I'd fish out of a big boat. I'm going to go where I think they're going to be(provided it's safe[ish]), and fish the lures I think they're going to eat. The biggest stuff, IMO, is all planning before you get on the water. If you have a clear idea of where you're going and what you're going to do when you get there, you can be a lot more efficient in terms of what you bring with you, and how you spend your time on the water.

It's the Yogi Berra effect, fishing is "90% mental, the other half is physical." :D