Yellow perch

The mtn man

Any 17" yellow perch is a MonstaH! :hair:

I know of a small lake in the nc mountains where a 17" yellow perch is not unusual, i caught a cooler full of them one day , i didn't have any minnows, i caught them all on a drop shot night crawler in 40ft of water. I turned everything 12" and under back, i guess I caught around 60 in a couple hours. That was just one trip. But the best trip.

Alan in GA

Me too....

I used to catch pickerel Vin bull sluce back before all the aquatic vegetation was mostly killed off, I haven't caught one there in several years now that you mention it. I also like to target the perch in the hooch, most I catch while bream fishing, which are also running smaller since the vegetation kill. I'd like to go with someone who knows the yellow perch methods in the sluice if someone wants to go sometime.

I'm afraid those days may be gone. the back flats are mud flats now, and now all the beautiful aquatic vegetation looks to be gone. Huge bream and shellcracker and chain pickerel not there now I guess? At least I've not seen them recently.

Killdee

I'm afraid those days may be gone. the back flats are mud flats now, and now all the beautiful aquatic vegetation looks to be gone. Huge bream and shellcracker and chain pickerel not there now I guess? At least I've not seen them recently.

Yeah I know... :banging

I'm fishing different places than in the past still hoping to find some but a hand size shell cracker is a goodun now a days....and all the dad burn paddle boaters everywhere.. Only 20 minutes from my house to the Azalea ramp too

Broadland

Yeah I know... :banging

I'm fishing different places than in the past still hoping to find some but a hand size shell cracker is a goodun now a days....and all the dad burn paddle boaters everywhere.. Only 20 minutes from my house to the Azalea ramp too

What happened to the vegetation on Bull Sluice? Sediment problems? I've only been fishing the lake for about 3 years so I have never seen the lake look much different than it does now. I get some nice bass and I really enjoy the perch. Hard to beat as a carp fishery too.

WPrich

What happened to the vegetation on Bull Sluice? Sediment problems? I've only been fishing the lake for about 3 years so I have never seen the lake look much different than it does now. I get some nice bass and I really enjoy the perch. Hard to beat as a carp fishery too.

Well for one thing the Army Corp on Engineers(Lanier) and Georgia Power(Morgan Falls) had a miscommunication and almost drained the river in-between those two dams a few years back. Sedimentation took most of the flats away that many fished for perch and bass.

Killdee

Yeah what he said ^ I stopped fishing for 2-3 years and it happened since then and last year. I asked a couple of dnr guys last summer they had no clue what I was talking about. Kinda young guys though.

Alan in GA

Used to be fun throwing Rapalas and spinnerbaits over the aquatic vegetation and see chain pickerel 'torpedo' several feet to attack the lure.
I've not been back in months so maybe it's growing back?

Killdee

Not much, so far. Haven been yet this year, turkey season closes Monday so I'll be back at it next week end if it's dry.

ThomasCobb123

Well for one thing the Army Corp on Engineers(Lanier) and Georgia Power(Morgan Falls) had a miscommunication and almost drained the river in-between those two dams a few years back. Sedimentation took most of the flats away that many fished for perch and bass.
I remember that blunder very well. And it happened right smack in the middle of the spawning month of May.
That old river area has never been the same since. It used to be a gangbusting place for yellows and huge blugills and 'crackers'.
Not so much anymore.
And, of course, the traffic from that rowing club and the kayakers, along with those who will NEVER pay attention to the no parking except for boats
signs at the ramp have added to the problems.
Such a shame. And I began fishing that river back in 1964...when the only thing there was the sand company and "Rainbow Fish Camp". Lot of pleasant memories of catching fish there.
A sad death to a beautiful deal.

Jim Lee

Lanier had some back in the day.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 457

vin-man

I have not fished Bull Sluice in years, but heard it has really changed. I lived about 5 min from the boat ramp on Azeala Drive, but now am about an hour from there. I use to catch a lot of YP back then. My personal best was 1lb 12oz. and 15" long. Caught it on red wiggler fished on the bottom back in Lawyers Lake. Use to fish a jig and minnow combo a lot back then as well. Sad to hear of the changes that have taken place.

Rabun

One i caught on Burton in 2014...dang seems like yesterday.

Attachments

• 16 inch yello perch resized.jpg
    16 inch yello perch resized.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 247

Philhutch80

Banned

Lack of dredging on the river and lack of rip rap protection has been killing the river from Roswell Rd. south for a long time. Plus it does not help that nobody wants to be accountable for the silt in and around Morgan Falls claiming it is too expensive an operation to do. Well if we do not do something bout it now it is only gonna get worse.
Used to be some football perch in there though as well as lots of good pickerel. The channel and small island upriver from the boat dock always produced pickerel for me. But that was also back in the 90's lol.

Kestas69

Lake Lanier stil have some.

Attachments

• D1420D81-5C97-4E1C-B7BE-FC21F0418F16.jpg
    D1420D81-5C97-4E1C-B7BE-FC21F0418F16.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 186
  • E7887661-D4CD-46AD-BC03-18A15281A3AF.jpg
    E7887661-D4CD-46AD-BC03-18A15281A3AF.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 188

KKrueger

Going back to the original post, how is the search for the state record going? I would think we are nearing prime time to catch one at its peak weight.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Lake Lanier stil have some.

That's a nice one! But, I have never heard anybody come up and say, "Man, I caught a 4535.92 gram bass yesterday! " :D