Summer Striper C&R=High Death Rates

mtr3333

Banned
my guess is about as good as yours. neither of us have a clue.

Now that you say that, I just remembered. It wasn't the fight. It was the extended photo session after the fight most definitely. Case closed.:smash:

BradMyers

Gone but not forgotten
So did we figure this out?

Not sure what some are thinking but the GA DNR stats are from a annual study on overall mortality and can be misleading on this subject June-Sept. So in honor of Todd and others who wanted to see a more comprehensive study with lots of stripes in the sample I have contacted Gene Wilder, Professor, Fish Ecology, Fishery Management, and Conservation Biology who agreed to join me on the air for an upcoming show. I am also working on getting Jason Bettinger Fisheries Biologist
South Carolina Department of Natural Resources on with us as well. These two combined have spent more time studying striped bass than most of us ever think about these fish. Once the date is set there will be an open invitation to anyone who wants to join me in the studio & come on the air with us and question these biologist.
Will this convince everyone no, but maybe someone will take these studies as an eye opener when it comes to catch & release stripers in warm water.

Mikemad

Sounds like a great show! Will more then summer time C/R mortality be discussed? I would like to hear their opinions on increasing recruitment. Getting more of the fish that are stocked to survive to a catchable size is a very important issue, at least to me. Be sure to let us know when it's going to air.

BradMyers

Gone but not forgotten
Sounds like a great show! Will more then summer time C/R mortality be discussed? I would like to hear their opinions on increasing recruitment. Getting more of the fish that are stocked to survive to a catchable size is a very important issue, at least to me. Be sure to let us know when it's going to air.

Will do. Mike I'll give you a shout next week, I'm heading out to Augusta for a weekend of racing.:flag:

fredw

Retired Moderator
Tennessee lakes closed to striper fishing in the summer

Does anyone know which lakes in Tennessee are closed to striper fishing during the summer months. A search turned up Cherokee. Are there others? Does the diffuser mentioned in this article create a unique enviornment in Cherokee?

MORRISTOWN, Tenn. --- The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency will continue its closed fishing zone for the protection of striped bass after a study showed the fish still concentrate in the area above Cherokee Dam during the summer months. The closure will be effect from July 15 through Sept. 15.

Last August, studies were conducted on striped bass use of a portion of Cherokee Lake that has been closed over the past decade to fishing from a boat during summer months.

In order to protect Cherokee Lake’s striped bass, TWRA enacted a 1,100 acre closed fishing zone adjacent to the dam in 2001. The zone is closed to fishing from boats from July 15 through September 15.

The Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) began using an oxygen diffuser system just upstream of Cherokee Dam in the mid-90’s to improve dissolved oxygen levels in their tailwater releases. This system also created an ideal summer refuge for striped bass and by 2000, enough anglers had discovered the refuge that mortality due to catch and release fishing became an issue.

TVA installed a new diffuser system in 2005 and TWRA’s striped bass stocking strategy has been changed significantly in recent years. In response to these changes, TWRA biologists, with the help of local anglers, re-evaluated the zone during August 2010. The TWRA needed to determine the extent to which the refuge was being utilized by striped bass and how to best manage the refuge in the future.

“The study showed that striped bass were still using the refuge area,” said Bobby Wilson, TWRA’s chief of fisheries. “The fish were heavily concentrated in the area and catch and release during the summer months would continue to cause high mortality on the striped bass.”

Unless there are developments that change the refuge area, the summer closure will continue each year.

For what its worth I think the original point the poster was trying to make was that most people don't realize how likely it is that a fish caught in deep water during the summer is going to die. Maybe they'll think about it now, maybe they won't. As long as the DNR keeps dumping them in there will always be fish to catch. I personally would love to see how Lanier would fish after a few years without the summer pressure. I think it would be substantially better, especially if you're in it for big fish. Fishing downlines and leadcore are effective, but I enjoy catching them in shallow water on lighter tackle during cooler weather much more. The same fish being caught multiple times seems like everyone getting more bang for their buck to me. It takes a long time for a truly big fish to get that way.

Here's a few pictures of a large striper I found on Allatoona today cruising around. It had been recently caught (hook marks), had a full air bladder and couldn't stay down. After it made a few trips down and popped back up, I jumped in and noodled it out. I'd be interested to know who caught it this morning, it was an amazing fish for the ole' dead sea. 23lbs. I also saw quite a few dead hybrids washed up on the banks the last two days. Just makes you wonder if people could take the quality of fishing for the rest of the year in their own hands by cutting the fish some slack for the worst part of the summer. That 10 lb fish you winched in on lead core this summer could be a 30lb beast that slams your flatline on a cool morning in a few years, which would you rather have? Just something to think about.

Attachments

• 7-22 058b.jpg
    7-22 058b.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 707
  • 7-22 061b.jpg
    7-22 061b.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 652
  • 7-22 068b.jpg
    7-22 068b.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 660
  • 7-22 072b.jpg
    7-22 072b.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 666

jighead1

Lanier record was caught last year or so, I think 48 Lbs. Not to sound bad but if all lived I think we would not have nothing but those eating machines. I put a 21# 12 OZ 36" ON THE WALL YEARS AGO AND TODAY I WOULD NOT WASTE MY MONEY THEY ARE LOTS OF HUGE FISH HERE. iN fLA. IT AIN,T WORTH GOING FISHING YOU CAN,T KEEP ENOUGH FISH TO FEED YOUR FAMIALY, CAPTINS ARE LOSIN BOATS THE KNOW IT ALLS DON'T KNOW IT ALL TALK TO ANY CAPTAIN AND THEY WILL SAYS MORE RED SNAPPER NOW THAN EVER.LIMITS ON BEELINERS, TRIGGERFISH WHAT NEXT. JUST TAKE A TRIP AND FEED THE FISH.SORRY FOR THE VENT,WE HAVE THE BEST STRIPER AND SPOTTED BASS LAKE IN THE COUNTRY AND DNR SAID BLUEBACKS WOULD RUIN THE LAKE, YEARS AGO I WOULD FISH TOUNAMENTS AND 5 FISH AT 9-10LBS WOULD WIN NOW IF YOU AIN'T GOT 17-18 LBS DON'T BOTHER.FISHED A BOATING ATLANTA TOURNAMENT BUDDY HAD 5 SPOTS 25# IN WINTER TIME, THATS SOME BIG FISH.STRIPERS ARE THE ONLY FISH STOCKED IN LANIER AND THE REST IS UP TO US AND NATURE AND WE ARE DOING A FINE JOB.Don't want to tick anyone off but it is the truth. I hate to say it but when they were first put in here bassfishermen would split them or toss them on the bank, and back then you just as well keep the fish beacuse they had to adjust to our water and they would float. I had one bigger than my 21#12 oz fish and my buddy went to net him and said he won't fit in the net, he knocked my spook off and fish was gone I stayed in that area for 30 mins. hoping he would die but no such luck, lots bigger than the one I mounted

Last edited:

sinclair1

Lanier record was caught last year or so, I think 48 Lbs. Not to sound bad but if all lived I think we would not have nothing but those eating machines. I put a 21# 12 OZ 36" ON THE WALL YEARS AGO AND TODAY I WOULD NOT WAST MY MONEY THEY ARE LOTS OF HUGE FISH HERE. iN fLA. IT AIN,T WORTH GOING FISHING YOU CAN,T KEEP ENOUGH FISH TO FEED YOUR FAMIALY, CAPTINS ARE LOSEING BOATS THE KNOW IT ALLS DON'T KNOW IT ALL TALK TO ANY CAPTAIN AND THEY WILL SAYS MORE RED SNAPPER NOW THAN EVER.LIMITS ON BEELINERS, TRIGGERFISH WHAT NEXT. JUST TAKE A TRIP AND FEED THE FISH.SORRY FOR THE VENT,WE HAVE THE BEST STRIPER AND SPOTTED BASS LAKE IN THE COUNTRY AND DNR SAID BLUEBACKS WOULD RUINE THE LAKE, YEARS AGO I WOULD FISH TOURNMENTS AND 5 FISH AT 9-10LBS WOULD WIN NOW IF YOU AIN'T GOT 17-18 LBS DON'T BOTHER.FISHED A BOATING ATLANTA TOURNMENT BUDDY HAD 5 SPOTS 25# IN WINTER TIME, THATS SOME BIG FISH.STRIPERS ARE THE ONLY FISH STOCKED IN LANIER AND THE REST IS UP TO US AND NATURE AND WE ARE DOING A FINE JOB.Don't want to tick anyone off but it is the truth. I hate to say it but when they were first put in here bassfishermen would split them or toss them on the bank, and back then you just as well keep the fish beacuse they had to ajust to our waterand they would float. I had one bigger than my 21#12 ox fish and my buddy went to net him and said he won't fit in the net, he knocked my spook off and fish was gone I stayed in that area for 30 mins. hopeing he would die but no such luck, lots bigger than the one I mounted

:pop:::ke:

jighead1

Boy you don't understand anything said, and yes god is in my life, lets keep suits out of this. If you can,t catch Stripers on you own go out with one of our guides and you will understand what I stated.Good Day Sir.And by the way I would be fishing Lanier when you were born and have seen the changes.Also vsit our guides and look at all the fish, big fish, Talk to someone thats knows the fish, Jeff, Shane, Don, Clay Robert, Youngblood, If they aint no fish these guys would stay on the porch with you. Don' t get your panties in a wad, life is to short and fish to catch.I am a nice guy but right is right and the trouble starts with the cut backs from the DNR, no money can't stock the 50000-6000othat they use too now do good to get20000. I aint book smart but

a country boy will survive, common sense will whip book smarts except dang court.

Last edited:

geaux-fish

For what its worth I think the original point the poster was trying to make was that most people don't realize how likely it is that a fish caught in deep water during the summer is going to die. Maybe they'll think about it now, maybe they won't. As long as the DNR keeps dumping them in there will always be fish to catch. I personally would love to see how Lanier would fish after a few years without the summer pressure. I think it would be substantially better, especially if you're in it for big fish. Fishing downlines and leadcore are effective, but I enjoy catching them in shallow water on lighter tackle during cooler weather much more. The same fish being caught multiple times seems like everyone getting more bang for their buck to me. It takes a long time for a truly big fish to get that way.

Here's a few pictures of a large striper I found on Allatoona today cruising around. It had been recently caught (hook marks), had a full air bladder and couldn't stay down. After it made a few trips down and popped back up, I jumped in and noodled it out. I'd be interested to know who caught it this morning, it was an amazing fish for the ole' dead sea. 23lbs. I also saw quite a few dead hybrids washed up on the banks the last two days. Just makes you wonder if people could take the quality of fishing for the rest of the year in their own hands by cutting the fish some slack for the worst part of the summer. That 10 lb fish you winched in on lead core this summer could be a 30lb beast that slams your flatline on a cool morning in a few years, which would you rather have? Just something to think about.

Were on Allatoona?

jonfishmacon

OVER half of summer stripes on Juliette caught on u rigs die if not more. i know this cause i see them floating behind a boat pulling u rigs

BradMyers

Gone but not forgotten
Yep and I'll have a new one up next year with more facts for the nay-sayers to ridicule in the name of self justification. :crazy:

killabeez321

I once caught a whole family of 10#ers on one cast with an
Alabama Rig, raised em up as if they was my own....
and didn't nary a one of em die...
Cept of old age....

Seriously though kinda glad some one dredged this up it was before i was a member makes me want to go read more old posts...

brianj

Yep and I'll have a new one up next year with more facts for the nay-sayers to ridicule in the name of self justification. :crazy:

Facts are good!
I think the first post lacked relevant ones, since most of the studies where done in shallow water lakes. And if not mistaken, didn't go bad and read to verify, but thought some of the dnr data was at odds with the post, noteing a significantly lower mortality rate.

Anyway, look forward to next yrs facts.