Legal Shotgun length...

heavenbound

Banned
does anyone know what the shortest length barrel you can have on a shotgun and it be legal is.. I am looking for one to keep in my truck and I heard that they can be illegal if too short..

Thanks..

VHinch

18" as measured from the bolt face with the bolt in the closed position.

Ruger Redhawk

18" bbl and 24" or 26" overall lenght/ I'm almost positive it's 26" OAL.

With a shorter then a 18" barrel it's considered a short barrel shotgun and is against federal law. That can get serious getting caught with it.

Burl E.

What about this short (and I am talking real short) shotgun?

Attachments

• shotgun pistol .jpg
    shotgun pistol .jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,200

hawgrider1200

Nah, that is a pistol. Just like a Judge is a pistol. not a short barrel shotgun. By the way i believe you can own a shorter shotgun you just have to have a license from the feds for it. Just like you can own a full auto rifle just have to have a license for it.

CUTT'EM 76

Nah, that is a pistol. Just like a Judge is a pistol. not a short barrel shotgun. By the way i believe you can own a shorter shotgun you just have to have a license from the feds for it. Just like you can own a full auto rifle just have to have a license for it.

No license,just pay the tax stamp.I believe.

DYI hunting

Shortest legal limit for a normal shotgun is an 18 inch barrel and 26 inch overall length. If it has a folding or telescoping stock, you measure the overall length with the stock fully extended.

You can go as short as you want as long as you register it as a Short Barrel Shotgun (SBS) or Any Other Weapon (AOW) before you go to cutting the barrel. An AOW shotgun can only have a pistol grip and can never have a stock on it. A SBS can either have a pistol grip or stock. I would not recommend leaving either in a car since they are regulated by the National Firearm Act.

Clydes Armory carries some short barrel shotguns and can handle the paperwork for you. You can also manufacture your own.
https://policeguns.com/catalog/prod...cts_id=6354&osCsid=37tvmc2at69v1op7k2ae2cv010

Wrong answer.

If the bore of the pictured gun is smooth, it is a short barreled shotgun, and subject to registration. Being as it is already in the state that it is (short barrel) it cannot be registered (again if it is a smooth bore).

The Judge is a "pistol" because the bore is rifled.

That is the Ducktown/Cobray double derringer. It is chambered in .45 Long Colt and has rifling in the barrel. It just happens to have a 3" chamber that will also shoot .410 shotshells. I used to have one, but didn't like the firing system.

Shortest legal limit for a normal shotgun is an 18 inch barrel and 26 inch overall length. If it has a folding or telescoping stock, you measure the overall length with the stock fully extended.

I agree with everything except that last line. George usually knows his stuff, but I believe that a shotgun with a folding/retracting stock is measured with the stock in the collapsed/retracted position. Otherwise, concealment would be too easy.

DYI hunting

I agree with everything except that last line. George usually knows his stuff, but I believe that a shotgun with a folding/retracting stock is measured with the stock in the collapsed/retracted position. Otherwise, concealment would be too easy.

I have found most references online to say overall length with the stock extended but some say collapsed. Now I have to go check my Form 4 for my SBR to verify.