Why is it so hard to kill a big buck......

longbowdave1

My sister lives just outside of Cincinnati and she sent me this picture a few days ago. Said this guy and his friends have been eating all her plantings and shrubs. Said she needed me to bring the longbow, and take care of her deer problem. Too bad it's a no hunting allowed area....... The buck just stood there and posed while she snapped the picture with her cell phone. Then she said, "I don't know why you have such a hard time finding a nice buck to shoot".....:huh:

Attachments

• Cidys Buck.jpeg
    Cidys Buck.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:

PAPALAPIN

Why is it so hard to kill a big buck ...

Because in the South ... the really "BIG BUCKS" are usually smarter than us ...

pine nut

They don't get big by being stupid anywhere. Those down here that move or just grow up in protected areas will get big too. I saw a track a few weeks ago that was on public land and was crossing every day at one of two crossings. His track was huge, but when I walked a short distance on his trail to either side of the road, (fifty feet to the right and 100 yds. to the left side of the road) to place and sit my stand for the afternoon, I never saw him. The next morning I crossed his huge track about a quarter of a mile before I reached his two normal crossing trails, and he was leaving that area. I just went and picked up my stand. I'd venture to say he's cautious in the extreme. He's in a perfect place to hide and probably totally nocturnal!

glynr329

Probably biggest reason in the south most bucks don't live long enough. Can't kill what is not there.

longbowdave1

I guess this thread is about sharing a picture of a good buck, and the surprising places you see them. Not so so much how to kill them.

I know I've been hunting all day during the rut, only to find a really big 8 point buck in my neighbors yard when I drove home. Same goes for turkeys.

I think there are big bucks in every state, (not as many in some states), and like was said, the older they get, the smarter they get. They need a lot of luck too to reach maturity.

PappyHoel

It's not in the ne ga mountains that's the only reason she could take the picture. You have to be Jeremiah Jones to kill a big buck in Ga.

sawtooth

Troy butler X2. Look at GA. as a whole- where do all the largest bucks come from? The counties where they aren't being blasted relentlessly with firearms. (And those pieces of private property that are actually large enough to where management practices are successful).

AllAmerican

I hunted in GA, PA, OH, and NJ for whitetail. I agree with a lot on here, and disagree w some as well. I believe there is an extra long gun season and the deer quota to fill tags is 12!

There are quality bucks in all of those states, it's a matter of the Hunter, some luck, and improving your percentage of that opportunity . Good thread!

Good luck next year gentlemen. Hit the woods as much as you can in the off season, and use trail cameras.

PS

3 things I'd like to see happen in GA.

1) either lose the corn/baiting totally or make it legal in the whole state

2) lower the harvest to 5 (1) buck 4 does

3) cut back the Fire arms season at least 3-4 weeks. (Shut down all hunting for one week during the rut.