David Berlinski Skeptic/Agnostic on science and religion.

ambush80

Here's the trailer. You can rent the movie for 3.99,
I found the parts on genetics and origins of life fascinating and the segment on fossil record was also.

Hey SFD,

I'm not gonna give $3.99 to the Creation Ministries Institute and buy this movie but if you buy it I'll watch it with you and then we can talk about it.

RegularJoe

By your use of italics it seems to me that you believe there are phenomena* that the scientific method can't reveal anything about. Is that right?
If it is okay for you and me to start with the assumption that all knowledge is not yet known by humans, & that .....
the Scientific Process/Method is a means by which it is studied and figured out, then.....
at this point i have no basis to anticipate that all knowledge
(i think this is what you are entitling *phenomena - but i could be misinterpreting your intended definition/dunno)
will be revealed thru the Scientific Process/Method.
i am not saying this as any kind of supposed discredit to the Scientific Process/Method .... i love the Scientific Process/Method for all its wonderful worth.

RegularJoe

Wasn't John the last of the gospels that was written? How did that author quote* Jesus?
Please forgive me for not exactly understanding your question.
Also, btw, I do not know if John was the last of the Gospels written.
All of the Gospels were written after the mortal death of Jesus.
All of the Gospels convey *quotations from earlier when Jesus was alive.

RegularJoe

What were your questions and what were the answers?
The biggest most important question(s) for me was 2 fold:
1. Why should i believe that which is reported in The Bible is valid or invalid; &
2. How will i ever be able to decide this for myself until i objectively read The Bible word for word for myself.
All other questions and answers where related to and a function of the above.

RegularJoe

Here's the trailer. You can rent the movie for 3.99,
I found the parts on genetics and origins of life fascinating and the segment on fossil record was also.
Thank you.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Please forgive me for not exactly understanding your question.
Also, btw, I do not know if John was the last of the Gospels written.
All of the Gospels were written after the mortal death of Jesus.
All of the Gospels convey *quotations from earlier when Jesus was alive.
John is believed to have been written as early as the year 100 and some estimates think it is 120 to 140.
Who was there to hear the quotes 90 years earlier and was still alive for the author of John to quote at least 2nd hand quotes?
How did the author of John know they were accurate?

ambush80

If it is okay for you and me to start with the assumption that all knowledge is not yet known by humans, & that .....
the Scientific Process/Method is a means by which it is studied and figured out, then.....
at this point i have no basis to anticipate that all knowledge
(i think this is what you are entitling *phenomena - but i could be misinterpreting your intended definition/dunno)
will be revealed thru the Scientific Process/Method.
i am not saying this as any kind of supposed discredit to the Scientific Process/Method .... i love the Scientific Process/Method for all its wonderful worth.

What kind of knowledge can't be revealed or described by the scientific method?

RegularJoe

John is believed to have been written as early as the year 100 and some estimates think it is 120 to 140.
Who was there to hear the quotes 90 years earlier and was still alive for the author of John to quote at least 2nd hand quotes?
How did the author of John know they were accurate?
Don't know.
Please keep in mind that my comment included with John7:17 was specifically " (& i am not saying it applies to me, bro) "
i am not on this forum defending The Bible or otherwise.... The Bible is what it is .... all of us can take it or leave it.

ky55

Don't know.
Please keep in mind that my comment included with John7:17 was specifically " (& i am not saying it applies to me, bro) "
i am not on this forum defending The Bible or otherwise.... The Bible is what it is .... all of us can take it or leave it.

“Apologetics (from Greek ἀπολογία, "speaking in defense") is the religious discipline of defending or attempting to prove the truth of religious doctrines through systematic argumentation and discourse.[1][2][3] Early Christian writers (c. 120–220) who defended their beliefs against critics and recommended their faith to outsiders were called Christian apologists.[4] In 21st century usage, 'apologetics' is often identified with debates over religion and theology.“

Maybe you aren’t in the right forum?

Last edited:

RegularJoe

“Apologetics (from Greek ἀπολογία, "speaking in defense") is the religious discipline of defending or attempting to prove the truth of religious doctrines through systematic argumentation and discourse.[1][2][3] Early Christian writers (c. 120–220) who defended their beliefs against critics and recommended their faith to outsiders were called Christian apologists.[4] In 21st century usage, 'apologetics' is often identified with debates over religion and theology.“

Maybe you aren’t in the right forum?

Ok.
Uhmmm .... would you allow me to be agnostic on this forum?

Last edited:

Israel

BANNED
or perhaps

Thanks Semper.

This fellow speaks well of mystery.
His quoting Hamlet reminds me of another:
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy"
And his obvious love of Gerard Manley Hopkins, to be so fluid, also comforted me.

God's Grandeur

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Last edited: