Arguments agains Atheism by some of todays best thinkers

WaltL1

That's an interesting way to put it. If I was to subscribe to that then I guess I'd hope that I was elected. How could I know that I was?

Does this explanation for predestination lead you to be more comfortable with your current stance that Christianity is not true? Because it's how he made you to be anyway.
Interesting question.
For me, Ive never really considered it from that angle.
Probably because based on my religious upbringing, I don't remember a "some are chosen to believe, some are not" type thing. It was ANYBODY/EVERYBODY qualified as long as you believed and went along with the program.
So the concept of "God made me NOT to believe" never really crosses my mind.

oldfella1962

From what I can tell from the predestination guys here they believe that you will know by the fruits. They seem to accept that they might not actually be elect but they believe that they should act like it.

If Christianity is true then I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing and I may end up being one of the elect after all. To believe I would still need some just for me revelation.

"you will know by their fruits" always gets me to thinking: let's take for example a lifelong Christian who is a dedicated expert theologian preacher and has "checked every block" the Bible says to check in their daily living. Giving thankfully 10 percent of their income to the church, encouraged thousands to repent & accept Jesus, etc. etc. By their fruits anyone can plainly see they are heaven bound.

Then one day they are found dead with a cocktail of drugs in their system in a murder-suicide with a tranny hooker and millions of dollars in faithful church member offerings in their personal bank account. :mad:

So one day their fruits show they are at the right hand of God and the next day not so much. My point is other humans cannot discern who is truly saved/dedicated/faithful by outside appearances of living the Christian life AKA "being known by their fruits."

WaltL1

"you will know by their fruits" always gets me to thinking: let's take for example a lifelong Christian who is a dedicated expert theologian preacher and has "checked every block" the Bible says to check in their daily living. Giving thankfully 10 percent of their income to the church, encouraged thousands to repent & accept Jesus, etc. etc. By their fruits anyone can plainly see they are heaven bound.

Then one day they are found dead with a cocktail of drugs in their system in a murder-suicide with a tranny hooker and millions of dollars in faithful church member offerings in their personal bank account. :mad:

So one day their fruits show they are at the right hand of God and the next day not so much. My point is other humans cannot discern who is truly saved/dedicated/faithful by outside appearances of living the Christian life AKA "being known by their fruits."
Great point.
Add it to the long list of contradictions.
"Only God can know your heart"
" Judge them by their fruits".

oldfella1962

Great point.
Add it to the long list of contradictions.
"Only God can know your heart"
" Judge them by their fruits".

and then we get hit with "Judge not lest ye be judged." ;)
That's pretty much "splitting the difference" between the two I guess.

Israel

BANNED
That's an interesting way to put it. If I was to subscribe to that then I guess I'd hope that I was elected. How could I know that I was?

Does this explanation for predestination lead you to be more comfortable with your current stance that Christianity is not true? Because it's how he made you to be anyway.

That's a very good question.

On whom must you depend for answer?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
That's a very good question.

On whom must you depend for answer?

Depends on whoever the person believes in as their god doesn't it?

Israel

BANNED
What's a pred?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Do you not purpose previous to doing?

Like a computer program?

At such and such a time you roll over in your sleep. Then a dream about not being able to remember your school locker combination. Then after the alarm goes off to wake up you will stub your toe on the cedar chest. Then a yawn. Brush teeth. Start coffee. Toaster is supposed to short out. Etc etc etc of every second of every day?

A Robot?

ambush80

Is that why you moved my question from one object to another? If you didn't do that with purpose, was it rational on your part?

Sorry, maybe I didn't understand your first question. I interpreted it to ask whether or not people think of a reason to do something before they do it. Neurophisics seems to show that they don't.

660griz

Just the title alone made me laugh:
"Arguments agains Atheism by some of todays best thinkers"

Israel

BANNED
Pat...I'd like to buy another "T"?

(But, to be fair, it said best thinkers not best spelers)

660griz

Pat...I'd like to buy another "T"?

(But, to be fair, it said best thinkers not best spelers)

To be clear, I wasn't referring to the missing 'T'.

jmharris23

Ambush, you asked a lot of good questions in here. Sorry I was so late to the game