Typologies, double fulfillment?

Artfuldodger

What are some biblical events that God uses for typologies and/or double fulfillements?
Are there any other words that describe such symbols or events that mirror future events? Shadow maybe?

Artfuldodger

I was thinking about Jerusalem and I guess many see it as type or shadow of the Church.
The flood is another example of a type for Christ. I'm sure there are many more examples.

Artfuldodger

Many see the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD as a type or shadow of a future such event.

Maybe Jonah in the belly of the big fish.

Artfuldodger

Was reading about allegorical interpretation of Scripture. Which to some means everything in the Bible means exactly what it says unless it is talking about the Second Coming of Jesus, in which case it never means what it says!

Artfuldodger

Israel as a typology of the Church;

The writings of Melito of Sardis;

The people [Israel] was precious before the church arose, and the law was marvelous before the gospel was elucidated. But when the church arose and the gospel took precedence, the model was made void, conceding its power to the reality…The people [Israel] was made void when the church arose.

Artfuldodger

From this Israel as a typology for the Church we can assume that this was God's plan for Israel to expire and be replaced by the Church or in another view Israel became wicked and thus replaced because they forfeited the right to be the people of God.

The always being God's plan for Israel to expire seems to follow the Elect/ predestination/ Reformed view and the Israel becoming wicked and thus forfeiting seems to follow the free will view.

Artfuldodger

I'm wondering if anyone sees the regathering of the Jews as a typology for gathering the Christians for the New Jerusalem?

hobbs27

Moses, Joshua, and David were types of Christ, there's probably more. One thing is certain though, types and shadows are old Testament phenomenons, since the scriptures are complete there are no types and shadows to be made in the New Testament.

St. Augustine said,
“The new is in the old concealed; the old is in the new revealed."

There's nothing concealed in the New.

Artfuldodger

Moses, Joshua, and David were types of Christ, there's probably more. One thing is certain though, types and shadows are old Testament phenomenons, since the scriptures are complete there are no types and shadows to be made in the New Testament.

St. Augustine said,
“The new is in the old concealed; the old is in the new revealed."

There's nothing concealed in the New.

One you mentioned yesterday;

Abraham had two sons.

hobbs27

One you mentioned yesterday;

Abraham had two sons.

Which looked back at the physical and explained it's already playing out in their time.

1gr8bldr

Confirmed ones, Jesus the sacrificial lamb. The flood was a rapture. Jesus head of the new creation, [second Adam} naming saul/Paul, Peter, etc as Adam had done. Israelites journey is a type of our spiritual journey. Jesus, a prophet likened to Moses, leading us out of slavery. Tower of Babel is modern day religion.

hobbs27

Confirmed ones, Jesus the sacrificial lamb. The flood was a rapture. Jesus head of the new creation, [second Adam} naming saul/Paul, Peter, etc as Adam had done. Israelites journey is a type of our spiritual journey. Jesus, a prophet likened to Moses, leading us out of slavery. Tower of Babel is modern day religion.

The flood was a rapture? The flood was a " day of the lord" , or a purifying of His people, not a snatching away. But I don't believe in the rapture doctrine, so it will be hard to impossible to convince me otherwise .

1gr8bldr

The flood was a rapture? The flood was a " day of the lord" , or a purifying of His people, not a snatching away. But I don't believe in the rapture doctrine, so it will be hard to impossible to convince me otherwise .
Look at the Hebrew language.... "they were caught up above the waters". This is where the NT writers got the idea of a rapture. Destroyed by water, next by fire. Not everyone will be destroyed in the coming fire. A deliverance, some call rapture. Yet I don't believe in the modern day version of a rapture either. Only a deliverance from the coming wrath

hobbs27

Look at the Hebrew language.... "they were caught up above the waters". This is where the NT writers got the idea of a rapture. Destroyed by water, next by fire. Not everyone will be destroyed in the coming fire. A deliverance, some call rapture. Yet I don't believe in the modern day version of a rapture either. Only a deliverance from the coming wrath

That's an interesting take, and would fit the narrative of seeing the signs and fleeing to the mountains.

1gr8bldr

That's an interesting take, and would fit the narrative of seeing the signs and fleeing to the mountains.
I should not have stated "the flood was a rapture". That makes no sense. But those delivered from the flood is type of rapture

Artfuldodger

The flood was a type of salvation. A rapture could be a part of salvation. This rapture may be meeting Jesus in the air or fleeing to the mountains.
Maybe it's the Ark in the flood that is the "type" for Christ. The actual vessel of salvation from the destruction.(flood)
The flood waters were the actual physical destruction. What do the flood waters represent?

When we think about the destruction Christ saves us from, the deliverance from the coming wrath, what does one picture?

Earthly destruction, eternal death, He11? What exactly is the coming wrath? Is it physical and spiritual?