QDMA habitat management article

Forest Grump

Recently QDMA published a good article for evaluating habitat in terms of quality for deer & turkeys.

I find that often hunters & land managers have trouble recognizing that their property is poor quality habitat, & this addresses a number of those issues.

Of course, those of us on leased land usually can do little to really improve our habitat on a scale that will affect carrying capacity or general herd nutrients. But we have a growing number of people opting to own land, & I thought it might be useful info, as well as helping folks who lease get a better idea of some of the reasons they struggle to harvest deer of a size they think should be there.

https://www.qdma.com/10-red-flags-of-poor-deer-habitat/

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
That's a good article!!!

gordylew

Yes, a good article. Reminds me of hunting on Piedmont NWR. miles of giant ancient hardwoods but yet not a stitch of understory. I always felt that it was managed for looks and not wildlife. IMO

ucfireman

Yes, a good article. Reminds me of hunting on Piedmont NWR. miles of giant ancient hardwoods but yet not a stitch of understory. I always felt that it was managed for looks and not wildlife. IMO
They have started cutting some timber. Don't know how much or if they used to but I hunted it 2 years ago and they were cutting fair size areas. Burned a lot too. Lots of deer on that place, I saw 7 different and had never set foot in there till hunt day.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Thanks for posting! Great article. Deer habitat and turkey habitat needs are not always the same.

baddave

agree -- seems to me a lot of wmas are like that