Hamburger Steak

whchunter

I was wondering how many of you talented chefs cook hamburger steaks. I searched and couldn't believe it......no discussion (that I could find) on how you guys cook your hamburger steaks...................:(:huh:

Was wondering

What ingredients you add to the meat?
What percent meat fat you buy?
How you cook it?
How far off the coals if using charcoal?
What temp you finish cooking?

Any other information you have..............

VANCE

I cook mine in a cast iron pan
adding only garlic salt & pepper to the meat

i must have sauteed onions on the top

tv_racin_fan

We don't do much hambuger steak cookin around here. IF we cook ground meat in a patty it is for a burger not a steak.

However you want some specifics on what I would add to that ground beef for a steak. I would add a pack of good seasons italian dressing mix one egg and a dash of worstershire to every 1lb 1lb and 1/2 of a lean ground beef. (same thing we add for a burger) Work em just enough to make em stay together on the grill, to much they get dry and tough, not enough they tend to fall apart.

The wife asked who am I givin her recipe to and I best be gettin paid good for it...

Artfuldodger

However you want some specifics on what I would add to that ground beef for a steak. I would add a pack of good seasons italian dressing mix one egg and a dash of worstershire to every 1lb 1lb and 1/2 of a lean ground beef. (same thing we add for a burger) Work em just enough to make em stay together on the grill, to much they get dry and tough, not enough they tend to fall apart.
The wife asked who am I givin her recipe to and I best be gettin paid good for it...
I know you shouldn't over work the meat when forming patties. Is there anything else to add other than an egg to make them more tender? I've ate lots of tough burgers/chopped steaks over the years. When I think of hamburger steaks they are covered with gravy.

stringmusic

To Be Determined
I was wondering how many of you talented chefs cook hamburger steaks. I searched and couldn't believe it......no discussion (that I could find) on how you guys cook your hamburger steaks...................:(:huh:

Was wondering

How you cook it?

Any other information you have..............

I add garlic salt, Dale's, and a lot of pepper to mine. I buy 80/20 beef.

I cook mine in a regular ol' fryin' pan on med/high heat until it looks done, I don't really have a set time.

A hamburger steak, fries or bake tater, and a salad with 1,000 island dressin' is one of the best meals a man can eat.

tv_racin_fan

I know you shouldn't over work the meat when forming patties. Is there anything else to add other than an egg to make them more tender? I've ate lots of tough burgers/chopped steaks over the years. When I think of hamburger steaks they are covered with gravy.

The egg doesn't make em tender, it helps hold em together so you dont have to work em so much.

Covered with gravy or cooked in gravy?

I can't say as I have ever had what I consider a hamburger steak at home. My mother made up patties and cooked em then took em out of the pan and fried some onions in the grease then added some flour and made a gravy then slipped the patties back in and heated em up good.

My wife just makes burger patties with that recipe and my son and I eat em on buns but she doesn't care so much for a bun so she eats em like a hamburger steak.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Thanks but looking for details. I know HS is cooked by many.

Sure thing....I figured you were, but knew there would be many suggestions to follow my post :)

Anyway, I prefer the stove top and cast iron skillet variety myself. I've done the egg/breadcrumb/worcestershire method and they are fine in their own right. :cool:

Personally though, keepin it simple like hillbilly with some shrooms and onions, salt & pepper, slathered in A-1, is all that is necessary for me.

I like them a little crispy on the outside, but medium on the inside.

I've rarely had a bad Hamburger steak :cheers:

John I. Shore

I add garlic salt, Dale's, and a lot of pepper to mine. I buy 80/20 beef.

I cook mine in a regular ol' fryin' pan on med/high heat until it looks done, I don't really have a set time.

A hamburger steak, fries or bake tater, and a salad with 1,000 island dressin' is one of the best meals a man can eat.

Better'n Hot Pockets?::ke:

John I.

Artfuldodger

I can't say as I have ever had what I consider a hamburger steak at home. My mother made up patties and cooked em then took em out of the pan and fried some onions in the grease then added some flour and made a gravy then slipped the patties back in and heated em up good.

That's the way my wife cooks them. They are fully cooked when thay go back in the gravy, and then the heat is turned off.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Was wondering

None. If you mix stuff in with the meat, you no longer have a hamburger steak, you have a slab of fried meatloaf. The point for me of hamburger steak is that I love the flavor of hamburger meat, I don't want to cover that up. Some coarse salt and pepper on both sides before cooking, maybe a dash of garlic powder. And use good meat.

Ground chuck will make a much better burger or burger steak than that dried-out, expensive, lean burger. Don't fall for the marketing gimmick-you're paying more for lower-quality burger if you buy the "lean" stuff. You need at least 15-20% fat content for it to cook and taste right. If you have to add an egg to hold it together, you're using the wrong meat. The cheapest burger isn't as good as chuck, but it'll work, it'll just shrink a lot. When Paul Newman had an idea to open a fancy restaurant with the "best hamburger in the country", him and his chef spent a lot of time and money testing all kinds and cuts of beef. Guess what they settled on? Ground chuck. :)

How you cook it?

Official hamburger steak to me is cooked in a cast iron pan. Heat it good and hot over medium heat, sear both sides, then turn down the heat to medium-low and finish it off. It's good grilled also.

A little lower temp than you'd cook smaller burgers, so that it'll get done in the middle without burning on the outside. But the same general principal: sear and put it on lower heat to finish.

Depends on how you like it. Grocery-store ground beef, I usually cook until it's not pink inside any more for safety's sake. E. coli doesn't sound like fun. If you grind your own or get it from a trustworthy butcher, you could eat it less done. Any other information you have..............

It ain't rocket science-get you some burger and experiment.

Those are my thoughts, other peoples' may differ. :)

golffreak

We pan fry ours.

1-pound of beef.
1-Pack of saltines
2-Eggs
Good splash of milk
Salt
Pepper

Mix the beef, eggs, and milk. Then mix in the crushed saltines. Salt and pepper. Pan fry. Use the drippings to make gravy. Great stuff!!

whchunter

Hmmm

Thanks...all great information. I have good cast iron skillet so I will try it. I like season salt so I may try add it and maybe some Dales. When ordering it at a restaurant I ask then to hold the gravy. I prefer A1 on mine. As a side I like fried onion rings and a twice baked tator..................Yummmm!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hamburger Steak is an oxymoron.... One is for the people that can't afford the other....

Not in my world. I can afford good steak, and eat it and enjoy it every week or two. But sometimes, I just get a hankerin' for a hamburger steak and wouldn't trade it for a prime porterhouse. And sometimes, I wouldn't trade a good cheeseburger for all the lobsters in Maine with a truckload of caviar thrown in to boot.

Last edited:

golffreak

Not in my world. I can afford good steak, and eat it and enjoy it every week or two. But sometimes, I just get a hankerin' for a hamburger steak and wouldn't trade it for a prime porterhouse. And sometimes, I wouldn't trade a good cheeseburger for all the lobsters in Maine with a truckload of caviar thrown in to boot.

Yep!