Decoys

boarbutcher

I have been duck hunting for about 5years now but only hunted the local river and a couple private spots for wood ducks. I am wanting to branch out and hunt some other places and different types of birds next year. With that being said decoys haven't been a requirement for me. What do all of you suggest when buying decoys far as brand? Which ones hold up and which ones to stay away from?

Quackmasterofgeorgia

G&h will last a lifetime, dakotas and avians are great, higdon foam filled are also extremely durable. I've been staying away from hardcore and flambeau, they haven't been too good for me because of brittleness and paint. Ghg is decent

G&H out of Oklahoma. Good product. Paint holds up. Last count I have about 200 Blue Bills and some Ring necks thrown in. They can be a bit pricey but they do hold up.

EastmanFireFighter

If your going to start buying them I would highly recommend you figure out what you are really going after such as divers or puddle ducks. If not then you will be spending money on useless decoys that you may not actually need. I guess you could always paint them how you wanted. Any of the decoys the guys mentioned previously. I tend to like GHG decoys. They have always held up and the paint has held true so far.

across the river

Where are you planning on hunting? That will determine what species of decoys you need and how many you need. How many you need will usually decide what you can afford, and what you can afford will typically determine what brand you end up with, at least initially.

boarbutcher

Thanks guys for the help. Planning on going to FLA for some reds and cans next year. I also have a place to shoot that tends to have ringers mallards and geese later in the season. Hope this explains a little better

Mexican Squealer

5 dozen divers ( ringnecks, cans, bluebills and redheads) will get you started. Couple dozen mallards and six Canada floaters and you will be set. Good luck. It's fun...and expensive...and worth every penny.