Dog was bitten by a snake. What kind was it?

Mars

My 70lb lab was bitten by a snake back in January and he was in bad shape for a week or so but fortunately he got over it. I couldn't believe the size of the bite. It was almost 3in between the punctures. I assume it was a dry bite because his leg was swollen for a few days and he acted like he wasn't feeling too good but if had been a venomous bite I can't help but think it would have killed him. This is a picture of the bite on his back leg. What kind of snake in central GA has a bite this big?

Last edited:

GoldDot40

Having trouble uploading the picture.....
You can upload directly off your device without a photo hosting site. However, if you rather use a 3rd party host, Imgur is still completely free and allows you to share to message boards, etc.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
With fang marks that far apart it could only have been a rattlesnake.

And it would have had to been a really big one. I`ve never seen one that big.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've read that fangs can spread out during a bite to about twice the distance they are in normal position, as the snake opens its mouth and flattens its head out. I'm like Nic, it would have had to have been a big rattler.

Mars

I tried uploading the picture again directly but no luck from my phone. I'll try again later.

The vet said it was the largest bite he had ever seen. It looked like somebody stuck him twice with an 1/8in drill bit.

I just measured the scars on his leg and they are 2.5in apart. I guess it was closer to three due to the swelling right after the bite.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I tried uploading the picture again directly but no luck from my phone. I'll try again later.

The vet said it was the largest bite he had ever seen. It looked like somebody stuck him twice with an 1/8in drill bit.

I just measured the scars on his leg and they are 2.5in apart. I guess it was closer to three due to the swelling right after the bite.

That`s still an almighty big snake and bigger bite marks than any I`ve ever seen.

lbzdually

Banned
That`s still an almighty big snake and bigger bite marks than any I`ve ever seen.

I seem to recall a show about snakes several years back, named venom 911 or something where a girl was hiking down a trail down in Florida and she got hit by a huge EDB and the bite marks were 3 inches or more apart. They found the snake and it was in the 6 ft plus range and very fat.

matt79brown

Friend's beagle got bit on the neck last year. Whole head swelled up for 4 days.Big droopy jaws and neck swollen like a ruttin' buck. We're up here in northwest GA mtns. Vet said it was a rattler that bit 'em. Said dogs could handle rattlesnake venom better than humans.

baddave

eastern diamondbacks get over 6' long but i'd o' never thunk they'd be out yet

baddave

take that back ..i did see a good sized watersnake the other day

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve seen em laying out to sun in the middle of the day when it was in the 20s that same morning. Just because it`s winter doesn`t mean that they won`t be out some.

Never let your guard down with snakes.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
Like Nic said they will come out and sun on cool days. Matter of fact killed a big Water Moccasin last week.

Knotmuch

Timber Rattler bit my blue tick on the muzzle. She died on the way to the vet. She was dead within 30 minutes of the bite. Vet said the venom went into a vein or artery dogs have in their muzzles.

smokey30725

My golden retriever I had as a kid got bit by a copperhead. Vet gave her something for the swelling and sent her home. She hobbled around for a few days and then was back to normal.

watermedic

Sandersville is about as far north as the Eastern Diamondbacks range goes. I have seen some pretty big ones between there and the Swainsboro/Stillmore area.