Thermal sights

pacecars

Any of you night pig hunters use a thermal sight? I am looking at the FLIR ThermoSight PRO PTS233, anyone use one of these?

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Get a pulsar RXQ30V you won't be disappointed

That's what I have. Great price point, light weight, the only downside I can see about the rxq30v is that it doesn't have video capability(which I don't use anyway) and everyone is sold out most of the time.

pdsniper

I have a close Friend that works for FLIR got the one just a step up from that one ordered but will not be available until late April or may but I will let you know how it does after I get it

sghoghunter

That's what I have. Great price point, light weight, the only downside I can see about the rxq30v is that it doesn't have video capability(which I don't use anyway) and everyone is sold out most of the time.

Yeah I'd rather have the video but I can't see the $1500 difference

pacecars

I have been talking to the guys at Night Goggles and he recommended the Pulsar Trail 384 XQ30 as an option. It is $2800 and has onboard video, better resolution and a few more nice features. Might be worth the $600 more

Pig Predator

I have been talking to the guys at Night Goggles and he recommended the Pulsar Trail 384 XQ30 as an option. It is $2800 and has onboard video, better resolution and a few more nice features. Might be worth the $600 more

It has the same resolution as the core. the only difference in the two are core has a green amoled display, the trail is black and white. The trail uses rechargeable battery packs, has video with internal storage, range finder and software is updatable. Oh, I almost forgot the $900 price difference.

I have a friend that just bought the apex, which is like the trail. It is more user friendly navigating the menus but the resolution is still the same. His was $2400 but only had video. So, a $500 difference from the core.

chase870

Possum Sox
I shoot a IR Hunter MK II Its a awesome piece of equipment I can video with a dvr hook up. Picture quality is awesome and I have killed a bunch of things with it deer pigs yotes beavers etc.

Pig Predator

I shoot a IR Hunter MK II Its a awesome piece of equipment I can video with a dvr hook up. Picture quality is awesome and I have killed a bunch of things with it deer pigs yotes beavers etc.

I suggested the core because it was along the same lines of the optic he asked about as far as price point was concerned. Now if we're going to a 60hz frame rate at 640x480 resolution, we're gonna be spending three times the money.:cheers:

pacecars

Thank guys. I would love to be able to spend $5000 to get a better optic but it ain't in the cards. I was trying to keep it around $2000 but after looking at the Pulsar and some of the features it had I might be able to stretch the budget to the absolute limit. When I said it had better resolution I meant better than the FLIR unit. The Core is nice but I do like the Trail a little better

pacecars

Nice scope but $6000 is a little above my budget

Yotedawg

Don't discount the 384 atn thor. Has video, wifi that will project what you see in the scope to the obsidian app, and several other bells and whistles. Same price point as the flir and rxq and with the new thor 4 coming out soon, I expect to see these drop in price. It is no pulsar apex but you get used to it and for the price it is a functioning thermal that will kill.

Pig Predator

Check the Apex XQ38 unit out it is 2.2-8.8 zoom. picks up heat signatures about 400 yds farther than the core or trail mentioned and still has video output for only $500 more than the core.

Yotedawg

Check the Apex XQ38 unit out it is 2.2-8.8 zoom. picks up heat signatures about 400 yds farther than the core or trail mentioned and still has video output for only $500 more than the core.

I have used the Apex xq38 and xq50. Both are super nice units. I am upgrading to the xq50 very soon.

Pig Predator

I have used the Apex xq38 and xq50. Both are super nice units. I am upgrading to the xq50 very soon.

I researched extensively on these thermals. I was accustomed to using atn in the past, so naturally, that's where I started. The only thing that steered me away from atn at this price point was 1) the refresh rate is only 40hz which may be a problem for quick scans and 2) I read review after review about the crappy customer service.

Pulsar seemed to have it all for a low budget thermal.

Yotedawg

I researched extensively on these thermals. I was accustomed to using atn in the past, so naturally, that's where I started. The only thing that steered me away from atn at this price point was 1) the refresh rate is only 40hz which may be a problem for quick scans and 2) I read review after review about the crappy customer service.

Pulsar seemed to have it all for a low budget thermal.

I agree with you. I hope I don't need customer service and am waiting on a buddy to get his new scope in so I can buy his xq50. The atn has been ok but you have to accept it for what it is and not try to make it a pulsar which it never will be.

pacecars

The nice thing about Night Goggles and TNVC is their customer service and they do offer financing

R and D

I have been researching thermals for quite a while, I ended up purchasing a Trijicon Reap Ir. I wanted light weight and the ability to identify and engage at distance....love it so far

pacecars

Thanks or the help and info. I went ahead and ordered the Pulsar Trail 384 XQ30

chase870

Possum Sox
I suggested the core because it was along the same lines of the optic he asked about as far as price point was concerned. Now if we're going to a 60hz frame rate at 640x480 resolution, we're gonna be spending three times the money.:cheers:

It cost more but worth the money if you are going to hunt a lot.