Sesame planting

Randy Lowe

I have read posts about planting sesame for doves, on two occasions I have seen fields of 100 acres in Taylor County without enough birds for a shoot. What is the secret to attract birds?

Gut_Pile

We tried it this year without success. Planted too thick and it just didn’t grow. It’s definitely more of a late season attractant

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I've hunted fields that were good with sesame (benne), but it was alternated with sunflowers and corn. One small field I hunted years ago it was the sole crop, but the birds were in it. It's like any other food crop for dove, the ground should be clean of weeds. Gil

Nimrod71

It is better for quail. The seed pods are face up and there for the seed don't fall to the ground like with other crops.

coveyrise

I have been too some barrel burning hunts on benne fields. There must be an art to growing it because there are 3 farmers that specialize in planting it around the Thomasville, Tallahassee area.

Randy Lowe

These fields were planted for a crop, still plenty of seed on the ground after combining late November. Doves are in it now by the hundreds, apparently headed back north.

quaildoc

The field needs to be well-drained. Does well in sandy soil. It also takes about 120 days to mature so you have to plant early.