LED flashlight

jeshoffstall

So I have a flashlight system...

sick of the maglite bulbs burning out, so switched to a LED minmag - it lasted two weekends, replaced the batteries, nothing. I am also tired of lites that have to screw on (mini mag heads or surefire tailcaps). So those have all become house/truck/camper lights. A two handed light is a pain when you are carrying a gun, treestand, etc.

For hunting I have a three light system - a $15 Rayovac (only seen at Home Depot) that runs on 2AA (meaning available anywhere) has 100 lumens on the high setting and 18 lumens on the low setting. Did I mention that it was $15? This has also become our nightstand light.

http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Lights/Work/Virtually-Indestructible-LED-2AA-Flashlight.aspx

I back this up with a Streamlight Polytech (replaces my Surefire G2) which has a clicky tailcap (no twisting) and 120 lumens. This is for finding the late night deer or that treestand that your buddy swore he hung just over the ridge and a Ray Charles could find it in the dark. Also would be good for momentarly blinding bigfoot if you need to escape.

Lastly, a cheap LED bill light that is great for rummaging through your back, climbing trees, gutting and cooking dinner on the grill!

BTW, got my Polytech at BPS for $50 with a gift card, I see Amazon has them for about $35.

Good luck with whatever you do, we are fortunate to have so many good choices at decent prices these days.

JKnieper

Y'all might laugh but I just bought a second $14 Rayovac led light at Home Depot. To me the name Rayovac does not conjure up thoughts of quality but I have had the first one over a year and have been impressed by the brightness and quality of the unit. 2 x AA batteries make it cheap to operate. I think that it is about 100 Lumens. Works for me and if I lose it I won't lose much sleep.

lbzdually

Banned
I have a Rayovac Sportsman light that has 180 lumens and 3 C batteries. Will last a long time. I want one with only 2C's and about 100 lumens for super long runtime, does anyone know of one?

Randy

i have a coleman 144 lumens light from walmart. use 3 triple a batteries. every time someone hunts with me and i turn it on they are really surprised a cheap flashlight can be that bright. everyone who sees it, they go and buy one.

This one. I bought it on a whem just to have in the boat as we were going gator hunting. Didn't need anything bright since we would have a big spot light. Turned out to be the brightest light on the boat other than the spot light. I was spotting gators 400 yards away. The batteries lasted all night running almost continuosly too. I was so impressed I went and bought a coule more when I returned home. One for my pack, one for my boat and one for my truck.

savreds

This one. I bought it on a whem just to have in the boat as we were going gator hunting. Didn't need anything bright since we would have a big spot light. Turned out to be the brightest light on the boat other than the spot light. I was spotting gators 400 yards away. The batteries lasted all night running almost continuosly too. I was so impressed I went and bought a coule more when I returned home. One for my pack, one for my boat and one for my truck.

X2

I have 3 different versions of the coleman lights and you can't hardly beat them for the money.
I did notice some lights at Sears that were Dorcy's if I remember right, I think I'm going to try one of them out next!

2tines

i have a coleman 144 lumens light from walmart. Use 3 triple a batteries. Every time someone hunts with me and i turn it on they are really surprised a cheap flashlight can be that bright. Everyone who sees it, they go and buy one.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this

I will shortly...
Picked up a 1000 lumen led flashlight on ebay the other day for $22. Takes a special rechargeable battery that I have to buy, but they aren't very expensive. The light has the new Cree xm-l T6 led. Supposed to be the brightest out there, up to 250m. Will let you know when I get it in...
that's a awesome light I have it also.. There is a combo kit also available

rawolfee

For hunting I have a three light system - a $15 Rayovac (only seen at Home Depot) that runs on 2AA (meaning available anywhere) has 100 lumens on the high setting and 18 lumens on the low setting. Did I mention that it was $15? This has also become our nightstand light.

http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Lights/Work/Virtually-Indestructible-LED-2AA-Flashlight.aspx

QUOTE]

X2. This is a great light and plenty bright. Very durable. I have one for hunting and we also keep on our night stand.

mdhall

A good way to know for sure is to read the reviews on Amazon. Although it's made in China, probably at the same factory as some of your lights more than a 20 times more in cost. This one has great reviews. CREE LED and 300 lumens for less than $6 with free shipping. I'd order 2 just in case you got a lemon.
51VZ3gSciML._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Here's the link:http://goo.gl/6tZcP

bearhunter39

I will shortly...
Picked up a 1000 lumen led flashlight on ebay the other day for $22. Takes a special rechargeable battery that I have to buy, but they aren't very expensive. The light has the new Cree xm-l T6 led. Supposed to be the brightest out there, up to 250m. Will let you know when I get it in...
Is this light bright enough to mount on a high power ,and see good enough with a scope to shoot 150yds.

redman2006

Anyone have any suggestions on a good hunting flashlight that's very bright and compact?

Redline. 310 lumen. 5 settings. Beam is adjustable for distance or flood.

3 aa batteries. Very compact. $39 at Sacketts in Jasper. Cheaper on line. I am very hapoy with it.

bigreddwon

I will shortly...

I bought one.. H O L Y CRAP!! Simply the best pocket light I have EVER used in my life!! So bright white, with an excellent spot with just enough of a flood effect to see around the spot.. Im blown away.. It takes 123/s as well as the two rechargeable that come with it, recharger too.. You can not go wrong for the price.. WOW...!!

Dusty Roads

A 3000Lm light(fits in the palm) was tested in a motorcycle mag-they say was the best ever for $69.I found it on Ebay but don';t have the name for it anymore.I was just looking to see if it was still sold their.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I recently bought a couple of new lights.

Surefire P2X Fury tactical 500 lumens
Surefire P3X Fury tactical 1,000 lumens
Surefire Maximus headlamp 1-500 lumens

hunt n duck

Best $10 light I've found. More like a flood light. Larry light
sample1.php

New one, haven't tried it yet but I bet it is good. Larry light2
sample1.php

rmp

Another vote for anything Surefire. Pricey but well worth it. Buy once, cry once. Unless something has changed, they're American made as well.

frdstang90

I bought a 1000 lumen at Home Depot Friday for $29 that was in the Christmas specials that is really nice. It uses 3 D-cell batteries and I think you could land a plane with it. LOL