Buying Half a Cow

Derek

I've heard a couple people talk about buying half a cow (meat that is).....Anybody here do that? Where do you buy it from? What does it cost?

QuakerBoy

I can get one from the guy who butchers my deer. He will sell you the cow...or you can buy your own cow and he'll go get it and butcher for you.

Price depends on Market value of beef on any given month to year...not sure what it costs now...but you'll save over buying beef at the supermarke

Doyle

My brother-in-law lives outside of Jasper not too far from you. He keeps about 20 or 30 head of cows and butchers a few steers each year. The last price he told me he got just under $3.00/lb (hanging weight - that is slaughtered and cleaned but before being cut up). The butcher he uses has an aging room and supposedly does a good job. If you can find someone that wants to buy the other half, I can put you in touch with him. Heck, you might want to call him anyway to see if he already has somebody that wants half.

Just BB

Just make sure you don't get the wrong half

REMINGTON710

My brother-in-law lives outside of Jasper not too far from you. He keeps about 20 or 30 head of cows and butchers a few steers each year. The last price he told me he got just under $3.00/lb (hanging weight - that is slaughtered and cleaned but before being cut up). The butcher he uses has an aging room and supposedly does a good job. If you can find someone that wants to buy the other half, I can put you in touch with him. Heck, you might want to call him anyway to see if he already has somebody that wants half.

I wish the cattle maket was doing good enough to get close to that per pound at the sell.....

Doyle

I wish the cattle maket was doing good enough to get close to that per pound at the sell.....

Remember, this is the price for hanging weight at the butcher shop. Not live weight. By the time the butcher finishes cutting it up, the end user is still right at $3.00/lb for his retail cuts which is significantly cheaper than at the store.

Just make sure you don't get the wrong half

actually there is truth to this..... one of my old buddies who always had the best cuts of meet told me it was because he would only buy the left side of the cow. reason being.... if watch a cow they always get up on there right side, there right side is used hard... sort of like being left handed versus right handed.... this being the meet is always more tender.... i personally can't prove this theory.... but i know this guy had some dang good beef... best i ever had!

willyb

my wife works at a meat house.we have even went in with 3 other people and got 1/4 of a beef.it is actually cheaper to go buy your own cow and take it to get it slaughtered and it only cost you about .35 cents a pound for slaughtering fees.but it depends on the price of beef at the stock yard(the best beef is a young cow)

Best thing is to find someone with a little open ground that will let you winter over a young white face...put the feed to it then when you ready to fill the freezer...take the critter to the butcher. You usually end up pying around 50 cents per pound. But, that is after the price of the cow...Add that in and if you can get a good deal...you might squeak out 2 dollars a pound total which would be great!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Holy Cow!!!!

3.00 a lb:hair::hair: Dang, I need to get back into the custom cut cattle business if thats the market here in GA!!!

I raised registered Herefords back in AR. I raised them with no hormones or supplemental anti-biotics. Put them on grain to order to get the marbling level you desired . Sold halves and whole carcasses custom cut for $2.25 lb in the wrapper.

You need a good processor that will work for a reasonable rate to do that though. Like 11P&Y said mine was a small operation, good side business. Might look on the ag pages here for a similar operation. Good Luck!

Doc_5729

I've heard a couple people talk about buying half a cow (meat that is).....Anybody here do that? Where do you buy it from? What does it cost?

There's a place we use down in Milledgeville that can fix you up with that beef called C&B Processing. The last one we bought worked out to under $2.50 per pound.

They do pork the same way. Whatever you want, they'll fix you up. You can also walk in and buy anything you want as well.

C & B Processing
2961 US Highway 441 S
Milledgeville, GA 31061
(478) 454-2005

I noticed you're in my neck of the woods so check your messages and give me a hollar' for more info.