Why is it that the sec schedules....

bullgator

OSU is 5-11-1 against the SEC. 0-2 against Florida, 0-1 against Georgia, and heck, even 0-2 against South Carolina. Now explain to us why your worried about where we play. While OSU has been good during the Urban years, historically y'all don't want to mess with an SEC schedule.
Oh, and most of those SEC wins y'all have were againt Mizzou and aTm before they joined the SEC.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Alabama plays a big nonconference team most years but it's always at home they NEVER travel to an FBS out of conference game. This is the first year I remember Georgia traveling to a big nonconference game

Neutral sites in Atlanta and Jerryworld are home games? What about the Penn State home and away series a few years ago?
SEC Commish Silva and Saban were outvoted twice on making the conference schedule 9 games. The mandate last year( I think) was that the SEC would have 8 conference opponents, 1 power 5 conference opponent, and then 3 teams of choice. In Bama's case two of those 3 are nearly always FBS teams( Colorado State and Fresno State this year). Yes, the Tide usually plays an FCS school in game 11, mainly due to the LSU( always game 8), one of the Missy schools, and Auburn games being so exhausting to round out the season.
Just my thoughts.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Neutral sites in Atlanta and Jerryworld are home games? What about the Penn State home and away series a few years ago?
SEC Commish Silva and Saban were outvoted twice on making the conference schedule 9 games. The mandate last year( I think) was that the SEC would have 8 conference opponents, 1 power 5 conference opponent, and then 3 teams of choice. In Bama's case two of those 3 are nearly always FBS teams( Colorado State and Fresno State this year). Yes, the Tide usually plays an FCS school in game 11, mainly due to the LSU( always game 8), one of the Missy schools, and Auburn games being so exhausting to round out the season. And play at least 9 conference games
Just my thoughts.

FINALLY. An intelligent reply. If sec teams are to stay relevant they need to schedule Conference opponents at the end of the year. Not cupcakes

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
OSU is 5-11-1 against the SEC. 0-2 against Florida, 0-1 against Georgia, and heck, even 0-2 against South Carolina. Now explain to us why your worried about where we play. While OSU has been good during the Urban years, historically y'all don't want to mess with an SEC schedule.
Oh, and most of those SEC wins y'all have were againt Mizzou and aTm before they joined the SEC.

Oh my. Your still living in the past. It's 2017

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Alabama plays a big nonconference team most years but it's always at home they NEVER travel to an FBS out of conference game. This is the first year I remember Georgia traveling to a big nonconference game

We've went on the road the last few years and played Oklahoma State, Arizona State, Colorado, and Notre Dame this year. I would like to see us travel more to play some of the big name schools. Our fans are awesome, and they'll be there to support the Dawgs where ever they go!

We were trying to get a home and home with The Ohio State university, but y'all backed out. Remember? http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...eyes-cancel-georgia-bulldogs-home-home-series

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
And Kentucky ain't a cupcake. They would thump OSU.

across the river

The real answer is because several of the SEC and ACC teams play rivalry games against teams that are out of conference, i.e. Clemson/ SC, Georgia/ GT, Kentucky/ Louisville. In order to do that, they have to start the ACC/SEC schedule by the third week to get 8 conference games an a bye in an allow those teams to play the rivalry game on the traditional weekend after Thanksgiving(13th week). You also have Alabama/Auburn, Vandy/Tenn, Ole Miss/ Miss St., NC/NCST, etc. that are all in conference rivalries they also play on the last weekend. In order to do that, those teams have to schedule an out of conference game on the 12th week. There is no real way to schedule a power 5 team that week, as they are all playing conference games, so they end up getting small schools.

bullgator

The real answer is because several of the SEC and ACC teams play rivalry games against each other that are out of conference while others play rivalry games in conference, i.e. Clemson/ SC, Georgia/ GT, Kentucky/ Louisville. In order to do that, they have to start the ACC/SEC schedule by the third week to get 8 conference games an a bye in an allow those teams to play the rivalry game on the traditional weekend after Thanksgiving(13th week). Alabama/Auburn, Vandy/Tenn, Ole Miss/ Miss St., NC/NCST, etc. are all in conference rivalries they also play on the last weekend. In order to do that, those teams have to schedule an out of conference game on that week. There is no real way to schedule a power 5 team that week, as they are all playing conference games, so they end up getting small schools.
Add Florida/FSU. :cheers:

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
The real answer is because several of the SEC and ACC teams play rivalry games against teams that are out of conference, i.e. Clemson/ SC, Georgia/ GT, Kentucky/ Louisville. In order to do that, they have to start the ACC/SEC schedule by the third week to get 8 conference games an a bye in an allow those teams to play the rivalry game on the traditional weekend after Thanksgiving(13th week). You also have Alabama/Auburn, Vandy/Tenn, Ole Miss/ Miss St., NC/NCST, etc. that are all in conference rivalries they also play on the last weekend. In order to do that, those teams have to schedule an out of conference game on the 12th week. There is no real way to schedule a power 5 team that week, as they are all playing conference games, so they end up getting small schools.

Why not play a 9th in conference game like everybody else.

fish hawk

Bass Master
You'll never win this argument Guth,SEC is way down this year but in the past playing 8 SEC teams is like anyone else playing 10 in theirs.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
At least we beat Syracuse

giphy.gif

across the river

Why not play a 9th in conference game like everybody else.

I'm not the head of either conference, but it wouldn't make sense for the ACC to do it. They not have the Notre Dame wrap around deal, so they are going to play 9 conference games and has some teams forced to play Notre Dame, and still have to start conference games by the 3rd week. The SEC doesn't do it, because again, still have to start the conference schedule by the third week. PAC twelve, BIG 10, BG 12, doesn't have to do that because the last week can still be in conference for all. They can open with a big game the first week, and then have two cupcakes before conference games start, i.e your boys. They aren't going to play a big game, then two weeks later start conference games. Ohio State doesn't do that either.

Latest posts