Shooting the .45-100

pacecars

I finally got to shoot my .45-100 Shiloh Saddle Rifle. While I was waiting for a new front sight from Shiloh to replace the globe sight that was on it when I bought it I loaded up some 511 gr paper patch bullets over 81 grs of Kik 3F. My first shot was at 25 yards to check alignment and get it on paper. To my surprise it was centered perfectly for windage and a couple of inches high. I fired my first 10 shot group at 100 yards and it was 2 1/2" center to center and as a bonus I didn't have to wipe or use a blow tube between shots! Should work well for hunting next week. I love this gun.

I know, I forgot to put my shooting glasses back on after getting the phone set up for the video

GAHUNTER60

Do you know what load was originally used in the .45-100? (I assume it was something utilizing 100 grains of black powder.)

I know very little about the .45-100, but I have shot both a .45-110 and a .45-120 -- one shot each (that was enough)!!!

I've shot a .450 Dakota off sticks (same ballistics as the .460 Weatherby, and reputed to be the world's most powerful shoulder fired hunting weapon), and it jarred every bone and tendon in my body, but I believe that .45-120 off the bench was worse!

pacecars

Originally it was called the .45 2.6 and was more of a target round and most factory loads were 90 grs I think, trying to go off memory. I will have to check Sellers or Venturino's book when I get home. With paper patch bullets and lots of compression you may be able to get 100 grs in the case.

pacecars

The .45-70 will do anything that needs to be done in North America and would have been my first choice ( I have had many) but I was .45-less and this one came along with the brass and I couldn't pass it up.

When I was much younger I lusted after a Sharps in .50-140 with that cigar sized case! I am sure glad I never gave in!

SC Hunter

I shot a 450 Dakota one time. One time was to much I literally hurt for 3 days.