What do you think about this?

1gr8bldr

I needed a place where my help might park, intersecting with my travel route on an out of town job. I live in one town, my help in another. So I went on google earth, specifically looking for a church at a convienent intersection. I thought churches have big parking lots not being used during the day. So I found a big church with a huge lot right off the interstate. I called them last week and asked permission. The lady on the phone was very nice and said no one had ever asked. She said she was sure that there would be no issue with us leaving a truck parked from 6AM until 4Pm, but that she should verify this with her adminstrator. She said she would call back within the hour. She was very nice. No call back that day. So I called again the next. She said that there had been some discussion over the matter and that someone mentioned "what if everyone wants to start doing this. She said she reminded him that this was a first. She said that she would try to spead things along for me since the start date I had asked for was coming up soon. Needless to say, I never heard back so I called again on Monday, them knowing that Tuesday was my start date. She said she had no answer yet and that it had been refered over to the Pastor for the decission. I felt sorry that she had got in the middle because had it been up to her, she would have said yes. So, essentially, by not giving me an answer was a no. I guess they thought that if they held out a little while longer then they would not have to tell me no. What do you think about this. I think it is pretty darn screwed up. Churches go all over the world to do petty things. Yet, they would not allow me to park a truck there for 3 weeks after having asked.:cry::smash::stir::crazy:

Last edited:

Havana Dude

Private property they can do as they please. These type things do tend to start "trends". "Hey, I saw you let that truck sit there, mind if I let mine sit there?" Sounds like another excellent reason to hate churches and bash them on a forum. :stir:;)

1gr8bldr

Hmm.. not quite sure I understand it. You find a place to park?
Yea, I had him park at the Mall. It is a 2.5 hr drive to the job site. Pulling a big box trailer loaded with tools. I burned $90 of fuel today. Anyway, I think, I hope that it is OK to park at the Mall. I don't dare ask:D

1gr8bldr

Private property they can do as they please. These type things do tend to start "trends". "Hey, I saw you let that truck sit there, mind if I let mine sit there?" Sounds like another excellent reason to hate churches and bash them on a forum. :stir:;)
Sure it's private property. If someone asks me, I'd say yes. I generally try to please people.

1gr8bldr

I forgot to mention that from the 1st conversation, I offered a $100 donation to the church for granting this request

Havana Dude

Could be an insurance issue, and I agree, an answer would have been nice.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Should have asked if you could drop by the church during the week and pray.

Artfuldodger

When my wife & I help people in need skeptics always come up with, what if they had a gun or some other answer as to why they don't help people. We just say Jesus teaches us to help people in need even if we die.

gordon 2

I think churches are generally guarded about their parking lots. The parking lot might seem empty until there is a funeral or some other gathering.

I know of a small town who get people ticketed if they park in the church parking lots. There are a lot of cheap skates--who would have no conscious about using church parking lots.

My local priest does not even like folk walking or playing with their dog in the church parking lot!

Last edited:

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I think the problem is that you asked.
If you ask, for insurance purposes, they are probably gonna have to say no.
If you don't ask, and something happens to your truck, it's not on them.

TaxPhd

I think the problem is that you asked.
If you ask, for insurance purposes, they are probably gonna have to say no.
If you don't ask, and something happens to your truck, it's not on them.

You see it as a problem that the OP ASKED to be allowed to use someone else's private property?? Do you just do as you please on other people's private property?

TaxPhd

Sure it's private property, but they don't pay property taxes. you should be able to park there.

Oh crap on a cracker. Should you also be able to hold your family reunion on their lawn, and set up a flea market in the parking lot? After all, they don't pay property taxes, so their property is fair game for anyone to use as they see fit.

What is wrong with people??

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
You see it as a problem that the OP ASKED to be allowed to use someone else's private property?? Do you just do as you please on other people's private property?

I was just giving a reason why the church might have told the gentleman he could not park in their parking lot.

It has to do with legal responsibility.
I wasn't suggesting he do it without asking.

My neighbor asked her attorney for advice concerning hiring an unlicensed lawn man. He told her she should never hire anyone who wasn't licensed.
She later learned that all the neighbors are using unlicensed lawn men....... She called her attorney back.

His response: As an attorney, I gave you the only answer I could, and still protect myself.

That might be what the church had to do. If they say "yes" they are assuming some sort of responsibility.

Today, if a hunter shoots himself on your property, you might be held libel for expenses. Go figger.

mtnwoman

When my wife & I help people in need skeptics always come up with, what if they had a gun or some other answer as to why they don't help people. We just say Jesus teaches us to help people in need even if we die.

I likey!!

mtnwoman

Sure it's private property, but they don't pay property taxes. you should be able to park there.

I wouldn't park on private property......I can't take another bullet....:rofl:

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Wow.. That's a tough one. I can see their stance...400 for sale vehicles in the parking lot after seeing yours there. I can see yours as well but I don't think lack of tax paying has any bearing on the situation. I'm a pastor by no means ... But I'd a said no. However...I'd a called you and told you that if I let you park... I gotta let em all park.