Cades Cove Question

Ghost G

What is best time of the year to go and see bear activity? What are the best areas to observe from?

Lindseys Grandpa

The best day i ever had was a day in the middle of week late August it was drizzling rain and there were not many people. Saw about 10. Early Spring and late fall can both be good. Do not even think about going there on weekend in fall . About the only thing you are gonna see is the rear end of car in front of you .

j_seph

When ya go take ya a hike to Abrams Falls

tree cutter 08

This past year we seen a double handfull in late October one evening. It got dark before we made it half way through. They were all feeding on white oaks that evening. Seen a 130 class 8 pt also.

lampern

In the fall everybody and their brother, sister and long lost cousin visits.

Other times of the year are less crowded still a very visited place.

Lots of deer and turkeys too

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
Going in april hope to see some. Never been to that part of the park before.Any landmarks or trails anyone recommend? Thanks good luck in the woods and on the water.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Late summer is usually the best for just seeing bears.

ripplerider

Going in april hope to see some. Never been to that part of the park before.Any landmarks or trails anyone recommend? Thanks good luck in the woods and on the water.

You should definitely check out Abrams creek falls. The trailhead is about halfway around the loop. It's well-marked and easy to follow. I think it's 2 1/2 miles to the falls. It's a fairly easy trail; it's rocky in places though.

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
You should definitely check out Abrams creek falls. The trailhead is about halfway around the loop. It's well-marked and easy to follow. I think it's 2 1/2 miles to the falls. It's a fairly easy trail; it's rocky in places though.
Thanks for info.We will check it out in april.

DJaz

A few years ago I visited Cade’s Cove during the month of April. Bears were everywhere. Drove the 11 mile loop and lost count I saw so many. They were even in the trees. Got very close to them also. They were very calm. I have pictures and will try to post some this week.

280bst

Here lately behind my place to the west a little. Spring is a good time there as said middle of week, might as well go see the Elk also

twincedargap

Saw a sow with five cubs yesterday driving on the loop. They were feeding in an open pasture. It was maybe 430 pm. We were leaving so I’m sure we would have seen more had we stayed later in the day.

i-CJZnn66.jpg

Last edited:

ripplerider

Wow 5 cubs is exceptional. 4 is the most I've ever seen a sow with. I believe someone else on here saw a sow with 5 cubs last year though.

jbogg

That’s a rare sight Tom. I saw a sow with five cubs two years ago on Chattahoochee during late Turkey season.

Attachments

• 3BF9B3E7-958A-4A1C-8F4F-14561E5A6C34.jpeg
    3BF9B3E7-958A-4A1C-8F4F-14561E5A6C34.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 351

twincedargap

I saw a sow with four cubs this season and they were small cubs like your pic. The ones this weekend were really big. I was surprised, guess they can stay together more than one season? PS edit - I have since learned cubs may stay with the sow for 18 months, so could be their second spring.

Last edited:

ripplerider

Bears mate every two years. Sows won't run their cubs off until mating time the second year. Sometimes if there's plenty of grub for them they'll be pretty big by then. The four cubs I saw with their mother were no bigger than groundhogs. I bet she didnt weigh much more than a hundred pounds.

twincedargap

Bears mate every two years. Sows won't run their cubs off until mating time the second year. Sometimes if there's plenty of grub for them they'll be pretty big by then. The four cubs I saw with their mother were no bigger than groundhogs. I bet she didnt weigh much more than a hundred pounds.

Guess I was shocked since the sow & 4 cubs I saw this past fall were like you say, very small. Saw a documentary last night about GSNP and it indicated the cubs would be with their mother for 18 months. So these cubs may be in their second season. Perhaps the small ones I saw were in their first six - eight months.

ripplerider

I had a very big sow with three cubs within 20 yards of me on the Coopers Creek muzzleloader hunt a few years ago. It was a great year for acorns and I'm satisfied that all three cubs would have been easily 90 pounds apiece. Momma was pushing 300 lbs. They were all roly-polys. I was kinda glad she didnt notice me sitting there on the ground with one shot to my name.

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
We went yesterday saw over 20 bears. Most were moms with cubs but we did see one big loner. Saw over 50 turkeys and 20 or more deer. No elk. It was great we had a great time . will post some pics soon

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
Few pics

Attachments

• 0419181747a.jpg
    0419181747a.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 130
  • 0419181750.jpg
    0419181750.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 0419181749f.jpg
    0419181749f.jpg