Plastics on The Fly Rod

MadDawg51

allenww;6221090..... I like the look on a kid's face when he and I are using the exact same equipment. I like it when its time to go home and he hands me back the rod said:
That sorta sums up the quality of folk on GON. I know not every one is great. But, we've got some great folk on the forum. Allen, thanks for the smile it brings to my face.

kenmorrow

Fishing plastics on a fly rod always seems to ruffle some feathers. If you enjoy it, who cares?

My old friend (and I do mean old in the sense that we've been friends a long time AND that he's an old man) Fox Statler, a well known fly fishing innovator who was one of the original fly guides on Arkansas' White River, has written extensively about fishing ultra-light plastics for bass and pan fish on fly rods. Fox lives on the Spring River, which is likely AR's best remaining smallmouth bass fishery.

Personally, I sort of scratch my head about all the "that's not fly fishing" stuff. Here we are in the days of all sorts of Clear Cure Goo, Tuffleye, Gummy Minnow, etc. soft plastic saltwater flies that nobody fusses about at all. In fact, the creators of these patterns are hailed as some of the greatest names in fly tying: Bob Popovics ring any bells? The we've got Enrico Puglisi and his 100% synthetic fly tying revolution for mostly bait fish flies. He's all the rage and considered one of the greatest things to hit fly tying since the invention of head cement. Mylar tubing, stretch tubing, fly foam, ...should I go on?

I love bamboo rods and all natural material flies as much as the next fella. I'm an historian and linguist by academic training (and professional credentials). That's pretty "old school." But I'm a pretty big fan of modern advances in technology when they work better. I mean, I wouldn't want to take a spin in a space shuttle if they were using blown asbestos for the re-entry heat shield, or go for a drive across the Serengeti in a car without air-conditioning.

Randy

Ken,
I know we have bumped heads on other subjects, but I appreciate you comments.

kenmorrow

Randy,

I am not threatened or offended by differences of opinion. My goal is to treat others with the same level of respect and courtesy they show me. I think everyone is entitled to both have and express their own ideas about things. We all benefit from free and fair competition, and that is true in the arena of ideas too.

Let me ask you this:

What's the difference between a bucktail jig and a Clouser Deep Minnow? Both have a weighted head, upturned hook point, and bucktail body materials. They produce a very similar if not identical action and silhouette. I submit that the only real difference is that they jig head comes as a pre-weighted hook while the fly tier has to tie on weighted dumbell eyes to tie his Clouser fly. Well, the bucktail streamer just so happens to be one of the oldest types of flies in the history of fly fishing. Yet, you will hear/read guys saying that if you fish with mini-jigs on a fly rod you're not fly fishing. But they have no problem tying on a Clouser Deep Minnow, Lefty's Deceiver, etc. Then you get the ones who think only a dry fly properly presented in a upstream manner is REAL fly fishing. But as I pointed out, the earliest fly fishing (nearly all fly fishing for a millenium or two) until about 150 years ago at the most was all sub-surface with wet flies. In an attempt to demonstrate their snobbishness, they've actually displayed their ignorance of the sport they desire to seem so on top of.

But...in the end...the whole freakin' deal is about having fun. It's just fishin'. The fish don't get smarter or suddenly develop a sophisticated set of social sensibilities just because you picked up a fly rod. But some fellas have to justify all that loot they left at the Orvis shop.

Randy

I am with you. Some of my fly fishing friends who I really look up to like Henry Cowan and Kent Edmonds say if you can throw it on a fly rod you are fly fishing. They are highly respected and if they say it I am good wiht it. But in the end I don't really care what it is called. I am catching fish and having fun. That is what matters to me.

centerpin fan

My old friend ... Fox Statler,

That's interesting. I stumbled onto his website a few years ago -- really liked his articles. He's a colorful fellow. :D

He's got a couple of Youtube videos of fishing plastics on the fly rod for smallies. He mentions he got the idea from Charlie Brewer, one of my fishing heroes.

fishndoc

Some of my fly fishing friends who I really look up to like Henry Cowan and Kent Edmonds say if you can throw it on a fly rod you are fly fishing.

Absolutely. If you read some of the FF literature, there are purists (not the word I use to describe them) who say using Wooly Buggers is not fly fishing - some even say anything other than a dry fly fished upstream is not fly fishing.

What's the old saying about everyone having the right to an opinion, and what it's worth?

Also, FWIW, I even know some scoundrels who occasionally use Trout Magnets on a fly rod at Dukes Creek - works pretty darn well, and they go home convinced they had a great day Fly Fishing.
:cheers:

kenmorrow

I've been practicing casting an M-80 on a Skagit head and a 12 wt switch rod with a short tapered leader. I figure that if I get my timing down and use waterproof fuses, it should be a very effective technique. I'm glad to know I've got Kent Edmonds' endorsement! LOL

Randy

I've been practicing casting an M-80 on a Skagit head and a 12 wt switch rod with a short tapered leader. I figure that if I get my timing down and use waterproof fuses, it should be a very effective technique. I'm glad to know I've got Kent Edmonds' endorsement! LOL
OK that is probably stretching it....lol

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Absolutely. If you read some of the FF literature, there are purists (not the word I use to describe them) who say using Wooly Buggers is not fly fishing - some even say anything other than a dry fly fished upstream is not fly fishing.

What's the old saying about everyone having the right to an opinion, and what it's worth?

Also, FWIW, I even know some scoundrels who occasionally use Trout Magnets on a fly rod at Dukes Creek - works pretty darn well, and they go home convinced they had a great day Fly Fishing.
:cheers:

I tied some Buggers last year for a member here. He wanted propellers in front of the bead head. They spun good and it is still flyfish'n.The whole point is having fun IMO. And if effective while having fun,so much the better.

kenmorrow

Ah-ha, Randy! You see? At some point we all become "snobs." LOL

Personally, I draw the line wherever the law dawgs do. I mean I have my own preferences that are often stricter than the law for me, but I support everyone's right to enjoy fishing the way they want to within the regulations and the general confines of good manners and common consideration for others.

For example, I was in my kayak staked out sight-casting to a couple of rolling juvenile tarpon a couple of weeks back in FL when this older fella with his kids and grandkids in a pontoon boat putters right in to my casting zone smack dead in front of me and casts a bait net. We're talking 40' off my bow. And they had seen me cast to a rolling fish. That was perfectly legal for him to do, but perfectly unsportsman-like, too. I politely told him he was setting a poor example for his grandkids. He threatened to capsize my kayak, which was not legal. I calmly explained that the reason I packed iron while fishing was because of jerks like him, and that I'd prefer not to have to defend myself from a potentially deadly assault in front of the children. He decided that finding his bait elsewhere was probably a better idea.

kenmorrow

I tied some Buggers last year for a member here. He wanted propellers in front of the bead head. They spun good and it is still flyfish'n.The whole point is having fun IMO. And if effective while having fun,so much the better.

That is called a Pistol Pete, and was first introduced by a fly shop of sorts in Trinidad, Colorado. They use them a lot in southern CO and NM for catching stocked trout and bass in lakes.

MadDawg51

.....I calmly explained that the reason I packed iron while fishing was because of jerks like him, and that I'd prefer not to have to defend myself from a potentially deadly assault in front of the children....

Now, that is funny.

I'm sure it was less funny as it happened. But, it is a great one for around the campfire....or beside the fish fryer.

yaknfish

Originally Posted by kenmorrow
".....I calmly explained that the reason I packed iron while fishing was because of jerks like him, and that I'd prefer not to have to defend myself from a potentially deadly assault in front of the children...."

So that's what lanyard loops on the base of the grip are good for (for those of us not in the cavalry)!

Georgia Hard Hunter

Hey I'm a "Live and let Live" kinda of guy. Do what turns you on but for me...... its over the line. Why use flies at all just get a plastic molded stonefly or cricket and have it painted to be exact in detail.....

Last edited:

kenmorrow

Now, that is funny.

I'm sure it was less funny as it happened. But, it is a great one for around the campfire....or beside the fish fryer.

No, I actually thought it was funny while it was happening. Please refer to my avatar for more insight into my twisted personality. And sitting dead in the water about 5' apart and his motor off on a pontoon boat and me in a kayak about 100' from the bank, his threat was pretty hollow. He was getting mad and lashing out because he knew he was wrong and he was embarrassed. So he lashed out instead of apologizing, which was the last thing I said to him...

As he started the motor and put the boat in gear I said, "Real men can admit when they've made a mistake and just apologize. Apparently, you sir can do neither." ::ke: :bounce:

chef

NEAT!!! ive always used a zoom super fluke at the family lake and it has been very productive. i have just recently started tying flies and tried to mimic a fluke with a white clouser minnow , and others to try and match the smaller fish.here is some pics of the ones ive tied and caught bass on. there not that great im still learning!

Attachments

• flies 1.jpg
    flies 1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 803

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
They catch fish Chef! :cool:I think they look good as well!

kirby999

That looks pretty neat . I missed the middle of the video , I kept falling asleep while he was wrapping the yarn around the legs .:yawn: kirby