Preparing fletching from feathers

RogerB

Gone but not Forgotten
I have come into possession of a signficant number of Peacock wing feathers. They are about the size of turkey wing feathers (just alittle smaller and abit softer) so I would like to try making some fletchings from them.

If anyone has some pictures of homemade jigs and burners they use to make fletchings, they would be willing to post or know where some are already posted, I would appreciate seeing them.

Thanks!!

BGBH

Never messed with any peacock feathers but have made bunches out of turkey.....Instead of splitting & grinding I just strip them back from the quill leaving the thin membrane still attached, then I use a little chopper to cut them into my preferred shape.....works like a charm.Here's a pix from some I just finished,5 1/2" parabolic little chopper is what I cut the feathers with.....

IMG_0520-1.jpg

Redbow

Man those are pretty !

Nugefan

what BGBH said ....

except I use sizzors to cut em .....

BGBH those look nice .....

RogerB

Gone but not Forgotten
Those look good! Did you make the chopper or is it one you purchased? And is a chopper and a burner the same thing?

BGBH

Thanks for the compliments....the chopper I have is one I purchased...you just lay your feather in it & hit it with a rubber mallet & it cuts the feather....I think you can get one for around 20.00 or so,it's different than a burner.......It's raining here so maybe I'll go to the shop & take some pictures for ya & how it works....RogerB,not trying to highjack your thread.....

BGBH

Here's a few pictures...I fletch right wing so I bought a right wing chopper...here I have the chopper & a rubber mallet with some primary right wing feathers....
IMG_0529.jpg

Start out peeling the feather away from the quill, should look alittle like this when ya start out....
IMG_0531.jpg

After you get it peeled back it should like this & ready for the chopper...
IMG_0533-1.jpg

Lay the section of feather against the little guide on the chopper,make sure you get it nice & straight...then you can close the top of the chopper over on the section of feather...should look like this...
IMG_0534-1.jpg

Then with a nice swift smack with the mallet against the top of the chopper you will have your fletching chopped out....
IMG_0535.jpg

Some feathers can be stubborn & break while stripping,just go slow....sometimes the base of the stripped feather will come out fairly wide,if this happens just trim along the edge with a pair of scissors....

I only use primaries for fletching hunting arrows....I use the secondaries for making spiral flu-flus & I strip them the same way.....

OconeeDan

Roger, I made a feather grinder jig but don't have photos. Just take two 1x2" lumber pieces maybe a foot long, lay them parrallel.
Lay three 4" door hinges on top of them, screw the hinges to the boards.
Basically, you put a feather in between the boards and clamp them down on it. Leave the quill section out, and pinch it all togather. Then you can hold it to belt sander and sand it such that the quill is flat.
After that, use a feather chopper or burner, or scissors.
Dan

F1Rocket

Roger, you can find "Little Choppers" on eBay. They are not that expensive.

Fletching with Peacock feathers, wow! I can only imagine what that would look like!

Jake Allen

Primary vs Secondary
Primaries, the 4 feathers on the end of the wing or by the joint?
How many secondaries?
Thanks for the illustrations of the chopper and details.
Dan, what's wrong with your camera? I would like
to see the grinding fixture.:bounce:

Great thread folks, thanks for the info!

Al33

Primary vs Secondary
Primaries, the 4 feathers on the end of the wing or by the joint?
How many secondaries?

There are 10 primaries in each wing and about the same number for the secondaries. I never knew there were choppers for left and right, I just thought one did both. I have cut both on mine and have never noticed any problems.:huh:

Nugefan

Now I see ..... Thanks for postin' .....

OconeeDan

If you click on SOS's post, you'll see good photos of the grinding "jig". Mine is similar but I think his is better. Dan

F1Rocket

So that I don't continue guessing at what might be the reason, is there a reason to prefer one method over the other?