Browning Abolt Misfire

hwatkins

I just bought a used Browning Abolt 30-06, when I was sighting it in I had 2 catridges out of 25 that only dented the primer and did not fire. This was factory ammunition, one remington and one winchester, so I don't think it was the rounds. The imprint from the firing pin on these cartridges looked weak.

Any ideas how to fix this? Are there any adjustments that can be made?

Craig Knight

A-Bolt

Take it to a Quality gunsmith,You may have to have a new firing pin installedor a new spring. Could be a combination of both.

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
As Craig stated.

My first inclination would be weak spring.

I would also like to suggest that the bolt may have something that is restricting the free movement of the pin/spring, did you clean the bolt good when you got the gun??

While disassembly would be best, soaking and/or spraying the bolt with a gun solvent may help. :)

leo

Duff

Several years ago, I bought a Browing Abolt .270 new, and it did the same thing your talking about. I would dent the primer as you explained, but not enough to "shoot".

Sometimes it would shoot all 20 shells in a box and it may miss fire 10 shells out of the next box. ::huh: ::huh:

I ended up trading mine*(the guy said he would send it back to Browning)

Seems like there was a lot of talk back then about Browning making there firing pens to short???Good luck

livetohunt

This problem has an easy solution. Send the new rifle back to Browning and have them give you a new rifle or repair yours.

livetohunt

I thought this was a new rifle. Disregard my last reply......

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Welcome to the board. I talked with a friend about your misfireselmoand the fact that we refired each bullet and again they misfired. He said they were probably dead primers. When I said the two misfires were from 2 different boxes of ammo it set him back.

One warning he gave was for leaving excessive oil, WD40 etc on the face of the bolt. He said petrolium products can kill a primer from the outside fairly quickly.

Tell Chris I said hello.

Gun Docc

Browning did have a few problems several years ago with misfires in the A-bolt guns

seems the problem was a combination of weak firing pin springs and not enough firing pin protrusion

on a center fire rifle , the firing pin should protrude .055 to .060 thousandths beyond the bolt face in the fired position

if it is less than this you will occasionally have a misfire

my suggestion is to take the gun to a competent gunsmith and have him check it out , then go from there to have the problem solved

Take Care,
Gun Docc