**** General Weather Discussion Thread #8 2017***

Status
Not open for further replies.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
We lost power while I was cooking brunch. I walked out on the back porch and finished it on a Coleman Tailgater grill. We were ready for a prolonged outage, it was back on in time to do the dishes.
Point is that each of should be ready for these things. In a world of pay per view this and that, it does not take much money or time. I guess attitude and awareness ain't what they used to be.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
People, especially urban people, have lost sight of the fact that Ma Nature is still in charge.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
My whole street is still out. I don't mind it - it's always good to go a few days without something you find yourself taking for granted at times. My girlfriend and parents...not so much.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
A $500 generator from Home Depot will keep a fridge. Microwave. Coffee pot. And some lights on.

Like said above just takes some planning.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
A $500 generator from Home Depot will keep a fridge. Microwave. Coffee pot. And some lights on.

Like said above just takes some planning.

We were fully prepared for everything short of the zombie apocalypse. Thankfully we didn't need it it for very long so we have a leg up on the next one.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Naw she ain't. According to them, we can PREVENT storms like Irma and even earthquakes like the one in Mexico if we just go green. facepalm:

Saw where some are saying the Gov't causes these natural disasters and actually steers them in the direction the .gov wants them to go.SMH
science
math
history.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Here is what she wrote, I'll leave out her name, but she is an equipment operator for GDOT, so it's not like she didn't have a clue what was about to happen.

In terms of how massive the destruction and damage to the power infrastructure in our state goes she truly is clueless.

She has no idea how we work or get paid. We were not on the clock the entire time we were gone. I`d like to see her walk just 75 feet in my boots.

Any lineman will understand what I`m talking about with my last sentence.

PappyHoel

She has no idea how we work or get paid. We were not on the clock the entire time we were gone. I`d like to see her walk just 75 feet in my boots.

And this is what folks need to keep in perspective. A few days without the computer and iPad phone might do some folks good.

I'm still without power but the fridge/freezer and do dads have the needed power. Just hope the wife tops off the gas while I'm at work.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

I think her idea of "hardship" is a whole lot different from ours. I've spent most of my life outside doing rough work in all kinds of weather conditions, but I would not want to climb a pole or go up in a bucket in the middle of one of these storms.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I think her idea of "hardship" is a whole lot different from ours. I've spent most of my life outside doing rough work in all kinds of weather conditions, but I would not want to climb a pole or go up in a bucket in the middle of one of these storms.

I was up in your state in February 1996 during that ice storm. I always liked to climb, but not on an ice covered pole like this one. You got to be a little crazy. :crazy:

No way to get a bucket truck in there where they sent me.

Attachments

• pole dancer.jpg
    pole dancer.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 282

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I don't think that's the limits of her clueless-ness. Given that she jumped straight to greed, and knowing she works for GDOT, I'm willing to bet she's a Bernie or Hillary supporter.

She lives in Athens and is from Maryland. There's no doubt in my mind that she has an entitlement mentality and thinks Communism is da bomb.

Predator generators from Harbor Freight have great reviews several of my friends have them. I got a 4000 and a wheel kit for $304. Shipping was around $7.

smokey30725

Check out slickdeals.net. I lucked up several years back and got a Generac GP5500W with wheel kit for less than $300 delivered. Then they "lost it in transit" and while I had to wait another 3 weeks, I ended up getting another 20% off my order. It was a one day flash sale through Home Depot if I remember correctly. It worked like a champ and served it's purpose until I upgraded to the Generac 20kw standby unit.

snookdoctor

I was up in your state in February 1996 during that ice storm. I always liked to climb, but not on an ice covered pole like this one. You got to be a little crazy. :crazy:

Nic, if that is a pic of you, I hope you have that framed on a wall. Great pic.

Greene728

You gotta be a little crazy to fool with power lines period if you ask me! I'm a 23 year firefighter/paramedic and have taken more than my fair share of chances and been in some hairy situations for sure. But, for some reason electricity and power lines spook me! We were on a call one night during a severe storm when a tree came down on a main line on a major highway through town about 200-300 feet or so below our engine checking on a car off the road. The light put off by that thing and mostly the deafening buzzing burning sound was nothing short of terrifying! It went from pitch black to daylight instantly! I swear you could feel it in the air it seemed. I was about 50ft from the truck when it happened and I promise you my feet didn't touch the ground but maybe 3 times and my rear end was in the cab! Seems I remember Newnan Utilities saying it was a 100,000v transmission or main line??? I don't know what all that means, I just know it was mean!!! I'll never forget that.

My hats of to any and all who do or have done it. Its a thankless job that is 99.9 percent of the time taken for granted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.