Red Snapper

cathooker

My largest red snapper to date. I caught it while fishing off of the coast of Mexico Beach the first of July.

Attachments

• IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,454

FishingAddict

Nice!! How far off shore are you? Couldn't help but notice the trolling motor. I'd like to fish offshore daily when I retire. If I can do it in a boat that small I can start next week!��

Teh Wicked

That's a nice 20+ right there.

cathooker

Fishingaddict, I was 15 miles offshore. I have an Xpress 20' bay boat. It did weigh 20+ pounds. We caught so many of the endangered red snapper in two days of fishing that we would move frequently trying to get other species. They seemed to be everywhere we fished.

Rabun

That's a stud...congrats! Did you have any luck on other species? We were down in the spring and got into some mahi just off of Mexico Beach...I was surprised how close in they were.

cathooker

Rabun, Besides the red snappers we caught grouper, king mackerel, spanish mackerel, a ton of triggerfish, vermilion snapper, and mahi.

jdgator

Nice red!!!

I've been catching reef fish closer in than ever before. My runs are about 7 - 9 miles off Dauphin Island. Granted, I have good numbers but still. Its crazy how quickly the population has grown.

Rabun

Rabun, Besides the red snappers we caught grouper, king mackerel, spanish mackerel, a ton of triggerfish, vermilion snapper, and mahi.

That sounds like a great trip! Glad your weather allowed for your trips offshore. I always seem to be fighting the winds in the Spring. Hoping to get back down there this fall.

MudDucker

Staff member
Did you release it so that you could do your part to restore the nearly extinct snapper species? I hope not, dem good groceries!