Vancouver

ambush80

I just got back from Vancouver. Here's some cool stuff we ate. The first picture is from a Chinese restaurant called Red Star. Starting from the bottom left and going clockwise is House fried rice, pork and bitter melon with black bean sauce, some weird, rubbery meatballs, Fried tofu squares with dipping sauce, the orange stuff is beef tendon, and bottom right is chicken feet. It was all odd and delicious and I wish I could have tried 20 more things but it was just my Mom and me.

The next three pics are stuff that we got from Granville Island market. Some smoked mackerel, bread and butter with sea salt, and smoked Sockeye salmon. The Injuns there know how to smoke fish real good.

Attachments

• red star dim sum.jpg
    red star dim sum.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 196
  • mackrel.jpg
    mackrel.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 196
  • bread.jpg
    bread.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 196
  • squaw candy.jpg
    squaw candy.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 196

ambush80

I could eat the salmon like candy.

They cure some with maple syrup (these weren't). They used to call it "Squaw Candy" but they don't anymore. Believe me, that salmon got scarfed. I have to say that I thought the oily as heck mackerel was buttery, fishy, better.

TJay

That looks awesome! Some of the best sushi I ever had was in Vancouver. Salmon sashimi was 1/2" thick!