Snow Storm of 1973

redlevel

On Friday, Feb. 10 through Saturday, Feb. 11 1973, it snowed 21 inches on the Red Level, just about three miles South of Butler. I measured 21" of snow in a 20 acre field on our farm. If you are familiar with that stretch of US 19, our farm is about a mile West and just South of the watermelon packing shed that was built right on 19 a few years ago.

It started snowing Friday afternoon and continued until Saturday afternoon. Lots of college students almost got stranded that Friday as they tried to make it home. They figured if they were North of Butler and headed South, they would be OK, but it only snowed a few inches in North Georgia. It pretty well shut down Taylor County, and most of Middle Georgia. The heavy snow pulled down power lines, and we were out of electricity on the farm for more than a week. The roads were impassable to the farm for a week in a regular truck. There were very few 4wd vehicles then as compared to now. A neighbor with a dual rear wheel tractor broke trail to our place. He came through every morning to check on us and take an order for canned goods and stuff from the country store on the highway. We had gas space heaters and a gas stove. It got old toting them slop jars out in the snow, though.

Road machines piled up huge piles of snow on the courthouse lawn in Butler as they got the streets cleared. The temps fell into single digits for two nights in a row and the piles of snow froze into huge blocks of ice. They finally finished melting two weeks later.

Some people are getting excited about the predictions of snow tomorrow, but I hope I never see another flake.

snookdoctor

Snow? I wish.

January 1973. Atlanta and north of Atlanta was encased in ice for a week , below freezing, and without power by an ice storm that nobody expected.

That was not fun. Power lines breaking, or bringing down poles because of the weight. Trees snapping in half. Cars turning into out of control sleds. The first night exploding transformers lit up the sky like a giant fireworks display.

That was no fun.

Last edited:

Redbow

I well remember the snowstorm of 1973, we were living and working in SC then ! Biggest snowstorm I ever saw, a southern blizzard it was ! We got 21 inches and the snow drifted up as high as the fence posts around our pasture in some places ! I also missed a couple days work, the roads were impassable !

gadeerwoman

Lived thru snowjam 73 and a couple other's that dumped too much of the stuff on me! Lived thru that -8 degree cold in Atlanta. If you were a plumber back then you could have retired on your earnings! Most snow we ever got at the house was 18"....and we are talking the I-20 east corridor. Atlanta never got a single snow flake with that storm. We were snowed in for 4 days.
Stuff is pretty to look at but I hate having to deal with it. Back when I was growing up it was a normal routine for us to get at least 2 bad ice storms every year, but seldom any snow. I do believe the climate has changed as we seldom get an ice storm anymore. And everytime they say this stuff is going 'south of Atlanta' I get slammed :(

Brian Groce

It was an ice storm in Bartow County. Our family lived in the living room on a mattress for 9 days without power using a Coleman stove and lanterns for heat , light and cooking. My sister and I both had the chicken pox during the ordeal.

truckman

snow

I remember the snow of 73 in S. Ga. I was over in Schley County. It was great for an 11 year old kid to be knee deep in snow.

Jim Ammons

Snow? I wish.

January 1973. Atlanta and north of Atlanta was encased in ice for a week , below freezing, and without power by an ice storm that nobody expected.

That was not fun. Power lines breaking, or bringing down poles because of the weight. Trees snapping in half. Cars turning into out of control sleds. The first night exploding transformers lit up the sky like a giant fireworks display.

That was no fun.

Worked for Dalton Utilities at that time in Dalton, GA. I think it was the worst week I have ever spent. One "tough" ice storm. Snow in February at Paradise in Webster County, GA measured 24.5 inches on flat level ground.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
The snow and ice that got NE Ga in January of 73 hasn't been equaled since then. It shut down schools, businesses, roads, etc. for about a week.

I had an old 66 T-bird that was about 4" off the ground and weighed about 4 tons (;)) that would move on that stuff. Most vehicles sat idle for that week.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I won`t ever forget that one. I had a 400 Suzuki TS, and could go anywhere I wanted to.

I would just as soon we didn`t get slammed now though. Not in the line of work I`m in.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
I was 10 yrs old living in Macon, we had this huge hill behind our house and a plastic boat that we used for a sled!!
I don't remember enduring any hardships, just having alot of fun.

parolebear

Lived in Perry and was in high school at the time (73). My best friend and I had one of the only sets of chains in town. Put them on a '71 Datsun p/u and took off just like any 16 yoa boy could do. We picked up people off the interstate and 341 for two days as they were stranded. Clean up was a chore when I got home as my father figured I was the young person to clean the snow off the roof, driveway and cars for him and the neighbors. Fun while it lasted.

marknga

GONetwork Member
I was 12 years old and we lived in Bonaire. What fun that was. Didn't think it would be 37 years and we hadn't never seen another storm like that. Snow Storm of a lifetime. Great memories of playing in the snow, watching our beagles tunnel thu it. Went Rabbit hunting a few days later had to about kick the rabbits out of their bed. Good times.

cafish

17 at the time skiped school and headed south to macon got stranded and dad had to come get us and truck out of trouble--never forgot the last part!!!

Oldstick

Yes, I was 15 at the time. If I remember, the snow band was unusual in that it spanned an area above Macon all the way down into north FLA, even Jacksonsville.

They even had 12 inches way down near Claxton, where we lived at the time.

southwoodshunter

I remember it also. I was 2..:rofl: No I was 12, lots of fun as I remember.. my brothers 4'11 wife stepped off the hill, into the edge of the ditch that was filled with snow.. :rofl:took 2 people to pull her out...:p he should have left her there....:bounce:
in 2002 I lived in NC for about 6 months, snowed while I was there, had an ice storm.. was a mess.. my truck door was frozen shut.. sure was glad to get back to Jawga where it was warm...:fine:

dpoole

yep only a few miles south of you in north schley county. remember totin hay bales to feed the cows among other things.

bam_bam

I won`t ever forget that one. I had a 400 Suzuki TS, and could go anywhere I wanted to.

I would just as soon we didn`t get slammed now though. Not in the line of work I`m in.

I know I wouldnt want it too either if I had your job.

ga41

i remember it well as a high school sophmore . Went and got my Dad's 504 International tractor and went everwhere I wanted in Thomaston and Upson co, was good times for sure !

westcobbdog

Snow? I wish.

That was no fun.

My family was stranded in our split level house in Sandy Springs with no power and the fireplace for heat. We all slept in the den in sleeping bags. Many huge pines around our house on all four sides, we lived in the woods off a culdesac, big pines snapping all around, very scary.