Georgia Deer Restocking 1928-1974 Program History

palerider

Good information about the restocking program. I remember when the deer were stocked in Upson and Pike counties.

Zeus

Were the deer released on public or private property? I'm wondering where the deer were restocked in Hall County.

Hornet22

ROMEO
I just saw this thread. It's Great BTW. I had the pleasure of getting to know Mr. Whittington. Great Man, unbelievable outdoorsman. He never sat in a deerstand. And according to him he has some Giant horns...He was our caretaker at our club in Crawford county. he walked our lease many times and gave us detailed instruction on browse line and how many does needed killing. We shared many conversations and i learned alot about the restocking from him directly. Yes there were great numbers restocked privately. Usually still had the DNR's help just no real records were kept. I'm lucky to live in a county that had both Texas and WI strain placed. There here just dang hard to find...

Mr. Whit is still the great outdoorsman. One of the stupidest things I ever did was selling the '89 Z71 I bought from him. He's a tough ole feller too, rattle snakes can't even put him down for long.:cheers:

ProAngler

Weird they used some of the island deer as broodstock. Wish we did not introduce the genetics of those tiny deer to the rest of the herd.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Weird they used some of the island deer as broodstock. Wish we did not introduce the genetics of those tiny deer to the rest of the herd.

The islands don't have poor genetics, they just have poor soils and habitat. The areas on the mainland with good habitat that were stocked solely with island deer produce really nice bucks.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Ive heard various stories all my life about this. I find the records very interesting.

For instance we all know Dooley countys reputation as a big buck county. Of there original deer stocking a 3rd came from the islands. Another 3rd came from PNWR. Im not sure where they came from originally. Makes you wonder how much genetics plays a role period.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

BornToHuntAndFish

Glad you posted the image. It appears the link no longer works.

Sorry for the delay. I just saw your helpful update. Original Post #1 is updated for web links that work now. Thank you for pointing this out.

Hey killmaster where could we find a new link the one in the op doesn't work now?

Sorry for the delay to you, too. I just noticed the issue being pointed out. Original Post #1 is updated with web links that work now. Thanks for pointing out the need for an update after the website was reorganized.

:bounce:

BornToHuntAndFish

The Original Post #1 is updated with web links that work now after the DNR website was reorganized. The link to the original document offers much more helpful info in case you are interested.

Appreciate everyone's patience.

Since there is a new limit of 10 images in a thread post, here's the first 10 of 15 Updated Recreated images that are a bit easier to read from Georgia Deer Restocking Program document continued in the next thread post with the last 5 of 15 Updated Recreated images.

Click, select, or touch image to view a larger image.

https://georgiawildlife.com/sites/default/files/wrd/pdf/management/1928-1974_Deer Restocking.pdf

Pg1 Doc Title.jpg

Pg2 Doc Date.jpg

Pg43 Table2 State Deer Origins.jpg

Pg31 Key to Table1.jpg

Counties in Alphabetical Order:

Appling to Catoosa from Page 32 below:

Pg32 Appling to Catoosa.jpg

Catoosa to Clarke from Page 33 below:

Pg33 Catoosa to Clarke.jpg

Clarke to Dade from Page 34 below:

Pg34 Clarke to Dade.jpg

Dodge to Fannin from Page 35 below:

Pg35 Dodge to Fannin.jpg

Fannin to Gilmer & Murray from Page 36 below:

Pg36 Fannin to Gilmer.jpg

Gordon to Heard from Page 37 below:

Pg37 Gordon to Heard.jpg

Continue the rest of the Counties in the next post below.

:fine:

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

Continuing the previous post above, here's the last 5 of 15 Updated Recreated images continued below:

Houston to Lowndes from Page 38 below:

Pg38 Houston to Lowndes.jpg

Lowndes to Pickens from Page 39 below:

Pg39 Lowndes to Pickens.jpg

Pickens to Treutlen from Page 40 below:

Pg40 Pickens to Treutlen.jpg

Treutlen to Whitfield from Page 41 below:

Pg41 Treutlen to Whitfield.jpg

Wilcox to Wilkes from Page 42 below:

Pg42 Wilcox to Wilkes.jpg

:fine:

Last edited:

lworley

Anyone who is interested in this should check out “The Last Deer Trapper.” I don’t know who wrote it. It’s about the game warden that trapped off of Berry and the islands to stock the state.

Bananaslug22

Neat. My great uncle was (I believe per my father) was very involved in the deer release in Troup County. I also believe he was instrumental in starting the Outdoorsman Club in Troup County.
My dad says my great uncle has pictures of the Deer release. I need to ask him(still living) if I could see them. The location, “8 Miles NW of LaGrange”, lines up exactly where my dad told me they released them.