2002 F250 V10 trans

hopper

Started driving my 03 250 240,000 trans fluid looking a little dirty but full. I have been told to not change it or the new oil could cause my tansmition to slip. Watched some videos and I get why this could happen. So any suggestions drive it till it breaks, drain it snd refill (not flush) just would like to maintaine this old truck. I hate when I try to prevent somthing and end up breaking up.

WayneB

if it does not smell burnt, then the clutches should handle a filter and fluid change.

If it would put you at ease, call around a couple transmission shops and ask if they would put pressure gauges on it and see what's shakin' before you open the pan.

transfixer

I'm a transmission tech, (hence my username) , as long as it is still working fine, and the fluid doesn't smell burnt or nasty, its okay to change, as long as it is still clear enough to see through on the dipstick, you should be fine,

I would not advise to do anything but a pan drop and filter change, the transmission flushes are generally not a good idea, especially on units that haven't been changed on a regular basis.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
Since it's a F-250 it has a 4R100 in it. Much like Transfixer said go for the change unless its burnt smelling. I would rotate the engine over to expose the torque converter drain plug and do a full service. Go get Motorcraft Mercon 5 and you should be good to go.