pruning trees

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I have pruned many a tree and never hurt one. In fact, I just finished pruning some saw tooth oaks- just to shape them up and some pines that had limbs too low to mow under. What kind of trees are you pruning?

glynr329

I honestly don't think I have ever killed or hurt a tree pruning it. I prune a ton of trees. I may have one this year time will tell. The tree about 1" diameter had some kind of fungus stuff growing. I cut it down to about 2' tall.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
No, it will actually help it to send more nutrients and energy to the upper crown. Use a sharp saw or pruner, and cut the limbs back to the trunk just outside the branch collar-don't leave a big stub.

I have some saw tooths that are around 8 years old. I probably should have pruned them a few yrs agon but there are limbs 2-3 ft high that almost touch the ground now. Is it too late to cut these limbs? Would it help the tree long term?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have some saw tooths that are around 8 years old. I probably should have pruned them a few yrs agon but there are limbs 2-3 ft high that almost touch the ground now. Is it too late to cut these limbs? Would it help the tree long term?

No, you can prune it now, and it will help the tree long term. Just try to make clean cuts just outside the branch collar, and don't remove more than 20-25% of the tree at once.