Food plots...Fad or here to stay?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
For me it’s resulted in eliminating Spring/summer plantings and focusing on perennial clover as my base with grains n brassicas in the fall.

Me, too ...

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Great comments guys. Think a lot of us go thru same experience...1st few years it’s an all out assault to see how much we can plant and how many varieties of see we can put in the ground. Then we slowly come to our senses and determine how we can provide the most forage for the least amount of money. For me it’s resulted in eliminating Spring/summer plantings and focusing on perennial clover as my base with grains n brassicas in the fall.

Duff...Those plots around Buffalo Creek was my introduction to food plots. That was a very special place for the few short years it existed.

I just got to the farm and waiting on GFC forester to arrive to plan for this year’s prescribed burn. Hope everyone has a great weekend! I’ll take some pics of plots n post up when I get home on Sunday.

Perrennial is da bomb

Dirtroad Johnson

I believe plots are here to stay, I do similar to what you do TC. I spend a lot of time mowing,prepping, & chainsaw work on down trees across the firebreaks that I use to control burn but also get used to travel thru out the property. I enjoy the prep work & planting plots for the most part.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I plant some, but most of the deer I kill die with a mouthful of acorns.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Three things i'm glad to have on my hunting property. 1946 Ford Ferguson tractor, helps with plots and roads. Kubota, also helps with plots and roads. Lifted golf cart, amazing where this thing will go, quietly. We believe, the more you put into your property, the more you will get from it.

Attachments

• MFDC8509.jpg
    MFDC8509.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 205
  • A223.jpg
    A223.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 208
  • A424.jpg
    A424.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 208

tree cutter 08

I think there here to stay. I plant here at the house so I can have something to watch when I'm not in the woods and gives the kids a good place to hunt in the evenings. I enjoy planting and watching them grow.

bhouston

the whole experience

So, for me - its the whole experience that makes "hunting" so rewarding. Its starting a project -taking an old field to a food plot, or a stand of native warm grasses, or a tree orchard - that makes the hunting more of a pursuit than a hobby. Its about reading from guys like Canuck, Triple C, Forest Grump and NC Hillbilly with so much knowledge and information - that it also becomes a thinking man's game to absorb the info and then put it into practice. Then you throw in the practical side of farming techniques, building farming implements, running tractors, etc. Finally, I am the father to two sons, two stepsons and a step daughter that have learned to work in the woods and respect the environment. Food plotting and other habitat management activities really add multiple dimensions to deer hunting that make it so much more. So, yes - I think food plotting and habitat management are here to stay for me...!!

blt152

I’m originally from northeastern Ohio and mostly hunted agriculture fields (corn, soybeans, clover, wheat and oats) and hardwood forests loaded with acorns. I’ve killed many a deer with a stomach full of corn, soybeans or acorns. Now that I’ve retired to the south and have become a member in a couple hunting leases I’ve come to appreciate food plots. My plots are mostly a blend of clovers and turnips and radishes. I get great satisfaction of seeing deer come to my plots and an even bigger satisfaction of working in them in preparation for hunting season. When your leases are more pines than hardwoods you need to give your deer something to eat to keep them on your property and to keep them nourished and healthy. Several years ago I learned that an animal needs three things to survive, food cover and water. If your land has sufficient bedding and fawning cover along with water your food plots along with supplemental mineral sites is the answer to providing the needed nourishment needed. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

glynr329

Did a little work replanting a few trees today. Had a few trees that never had any fruit pulled them up. Replaced with pear trees.

1gr8bldr

Food plots will likely be here to stay as deer hunters per acre go down, as hunters bite off more and more land to themselves. However, 75% of the food plots I see planted are a waste of time. The deer probably preferring the lost habitat over the half baked foodplot that would look better if they had just painted the ground green. Food plots done right benefit deer. Half baked food plot.... I'd prefer a grown up field to hunt over

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
For me it’s resulted in eliminating Spring/summer plantings and focusing on perennial clover as my base with grains n brassicas in the fall.

Whoop der it is. :cool:

Clover is hard work to get started but once you get it going it doesn't take much effort to take care of it and the animules love it and it's good for them.

Jim Boyd

I fear I like tractor seat time almost as much as stand seat time.

Ihunt

I’m 49. I actually started planting food plots about 37 years ago. I used to see all of the rabbits in my dads garden so I came up with the idea to plant peas in the woods so I could shoot rabbits in my pea patch. Actually got checked by a policeman who thought I was growing pot. He saw me coming out of the woods with my garden rake and a brown bag. He made me show him my food plot.

Guess I should have teamed up with Ray Scott.

Triple C

Yeah...Pretty sure they're here to stay too. Got B118 root stock coming in a few weeks to graft 10 more apples to scatter about the farm. I've only been doing it regularly since 2011 and feel like I've got a pretty good plan in place. I love tractor seat time. I love weekends there when nothing is planned other than hanging out and grillin' something. Love the habitat improvement stuff and love watching critters in the plots enjoying the fruits of my labor, particularly this time of year.

Think I had a few turnips on steroids this year.
IMG_4700.jpg