Planting clover

A-Bolt88

Can I plant clover in late February early March? I have done my bushhogging and I’m going to plow and lime according to my soil test. I’m just wondering if I can go ahead and plant clover. Thanks

treemanjohn

Banned
Im not sure what the book says, but I planted Durana on early November and the first week of December hit are coming in nicely in Duluth. I'm planning of throwing some more next week.

One thing you should consider is the seeds in the bank that you will expose when you turn the ground. Especially considering this is the first clearing . Those seeds will geminate when exposed to sunlight. I always give it a couple weeks after working the ground to spray again before seeding

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Can I plant clover in late February early March? I have done my bushhogging and I’m going to plow and lime according to my soil test. I’m just wondering if I can go ahead and plant clover. Thanks

The main reason to wait till the fall, is so that your lime has time to work and get your ph up. It might take 6 months to get that going and 3 years to finish the job, so your soil could be very acidic for a while. Most clovers, want the ph to be above 6.0 and preferably closer to 6.5 and that's to get them to grow well.

If you're planting a perennial clover, a fall planting, here in the south, will give the clovers root system a chance to establish, before the heat of the summer. In a fall planting, there is less weed competition vs a spring "green up", like we will see shortly. Your success is greater, with a fall planting.

shdw633

So should I kill all the weeds disc it put my lime down and just wait till fall? Thanks

I would probably plant a summer plot like Sunn Hemp to provide some green manure for your fall clover plot as well as giving your herd some nutrition during the summer months.

shdw633

When is the best time to plant the sunn hemp?

It can be planted in soil that is 48 degrees or higher but does better when the soil and night time temps are higher. At the very least wait until the last frost comes through and plant after that.

shdw633

Ok thanks for all the info I have heard good things about the sunn hemp.

Best part is you don't need a high PH and it really doesn't need a lot of fertilizer....just plant it and hope the deer don't eat it to the ground before it gets up high enough to regenerate for them. My plan this year is to plant millet around the first of April and then come back in a couple of weeks and spread the hemp in the hopes that the millet will protect the hemp from getting wiped out by the deer within the first month.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Forest Grump had suggested sunn hemp and a cowpea mix, which I thought had a lot of merit.

BCPbuckhunter

If the deer don't brows it heavy then you will need to cut it every so often at about 3' height or it will get too tall and woody for the deer to really want to use it and then if you don't you could be left with 8-10' tall stalks to deal with. I did that on a plot the first time I planted it.

shdw633

So if I plant a sunn hemp mix when would I cut it and plant my clover?

As BCPbuckhunter stated, you will have to watch it to make sure it doesn't get too tall or it will become very tall and the stalks are difficult to incorporate into the soil come the fall. You will want to disk that in and plant your clover in the fall and that timing just depends on your area and what you want out of the foodplot. I personally plant the first week of September (depending on the rain), but some plant as late as mid to late October.