Calling all slaw dog lovers...

Triple C

Found my self solo at the farm Saturday night. With no crowd to cook for I decided on something simple...slaw dogs.

First order of biz was grilling the buns in butter on both sides to give em a little buttery crunch and then placing Nathan's all beef franks in each bun smothered in French's yellow mustard.
IMG_4993.jpg

2nd order ob biz was applying the slaw. Gotta be slaw dog slaw...less vinegar n more Duke's mayo with a little sugar.
IMG_4994.jpg

Messed up on applying the line of Heinz ketchup but you get the idea.
IMG_4995.jpg

Garnished with dill pickles and onions.
IMG_4998.jpg

And finally...with slaw dogs, if it ain't french fries it's gotta be Lays original chips. Made for a decent meal.
IMG_5002.jpg

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Haven't had a good ol slaw dog in a while.....those look mighty fine to me.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Man triple C them looks mighty fine!

Done flung a craving on me Brother!

Duff

Yes man! Having one tonight along with a cheeseburger w/slaw. Looks great ccc!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Man!!!!! Those look mighty good!!!!:cheers:

Triple C

Thx gals n guys! Interesting observation on the "hold the ketchup". As I was eating those slaw dogs last night the thought occurred to me that I might never put ketchup on one again. At 61, I grew up eating ketchup on pretty much everything including ketchup sammiches. Today, I hardly use it and I've noticed more and more folks abandoning the favorite condiment of our generation. It's too sweet and not sure it adds much to anything that I once thought you had to have it on. Even french fries...I'd rather now have them naked or a little ranch dressing on the side instead of lathering them in ketchup. Don't even think our grown kids keep ketchup in their pantry. Interesting how things change over time...particularly a condiment that I once thought would always be king of condiments.

Stroker

Thx gals n guys! Interesting observation on the "hold the ketchup". As I was eating those slaw dogs last night the thought occurred to me that I might never put ketchup on one again. At 61, I grew up eating ketchup on pretty much everything including ketchup sammiches. Today, I hardly use it and I've noticed more and more folks abandoning the favorite condiment of our generation. It's too sweet and not sure it adds much to anything that I once thought you had to have it on. Even french fries...I'd rather now have them naked or a little ranch dressing on the side instead of lathering them in ketchup. Don't even think our grown kids keep ketchup in their pantry. Interesting how things change over time...particularly a condiment that I once thought would always be king of condiments.

Mix some sriracha sauce in with the ranch if you want to kick it up. Adjust the amount to your heat tolerance.

Dub

Those look great.

My wife is the ketchup eater in our house....for me it's more of and additive to sauces 'n such.

Artfuldodger

Sounds like me. I grew up putting catsup on everything. I wouldn't have thought of eating a hotdog without catsup. Now I just use mustard and slaw. Sometimes relish.
Mayo and french fries are good.

I think traditional Southern slaw is mostly mayo. Now I prefer a vinegar and mayo mix with a bit of mustard in my slaw.
Growing up my Mom's slaw was just cabbage, sweet pickles, and mayo. I like the pickles but my wife doesn't.
We also prefer chopped cabbage instead of grated.
We buy the Southern slaw mix from Kroger. This is the recipe on the bag although we do put more mayo in it.

Directions

Keep refrigerated. Simple Southern Slaw: 16 oz Chef Buddys Southern Slaw; 1/4 cup mayonnaise; 1 tablespoon of mustard; 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar; 1/4 cup of sugar; 1/2 teaspoon of salt; 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. In a medium bowl, prepare slaw dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, mustard, apple cider vinegar and sugar. Toss dressing with Chef Buddys Southern Slaw mixture, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and chill before serving.

Artfuldodger

Some convenience stores have pretty good hotdogs with lots of fixins, even sauerkraut. Sam's and Costco as well. My daughter works close to Costco and goes there often for a footlong and a Coke.

snuffy

Hold the pickles and ketchup for me.
Ill take two.