Gun safe dehumidifier

Killdee

I just purchased a gun safe and it will be in my basement so I want to make sure my guns don't get rust and mildewed.
Any suggestions on a product and perhaps a humidify meter of some sort. I'll probably go to Academy where I bought the safe.

GoldDot40

Do you know whether or not you have high humidity or moisture issues down there already?

Wife's uncle has a gun safe in a no HVAC basement and doesn't use a humidifier. Never had an issue with rust or mildew.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I have a goldenrod also but in addition if have one of the electric rechargeables and two of the boxes you put in the warm oven to dry them out and put back. I take no chances. Actually I have two of the electric ones and every time I open the safe I exchange the one from the outlet to the safe.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
The principle of goldenrod is to heat up and keep air movement. It really does not remove moisture.

Killdee

Do you know whether or not you have high humidity or moisture issues down there already?

Wife's uncle has a gun safe in a no HVAC basement and doesn't use a humidifier. Never had an issue with rust or mildew.

Mostly taking no chances.Its always cool down there and if I run a floor dehumidifier it always pulls moisture.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Mostly taking no chances.Its always cool down there and if I run a floor dehumidifier it always pulls moisture.

Same here. I run the floor dehumidifier also and it pulls moisture continually.

rospaw

Get it off the floor! Put wood, rubber mat ect to keep it off the concrete. Cheap wireless moister meter off ebay is a plus. Buddy put a fish light, the type with the silver dome they sell at wal mart. He put a low watt bulb in it and set it on top. Leaves it burning all the time and corrected his light rusting issues. He says it cost him about 10.00 a year to run the light 24/7.

shdw633

I have had a goldenrod in mine for nearly 2 years and never have had an issue in mine down here in Central Florida.

LonePine

x4 on the GoldenRod. Works great in my basement safe

ssramage

Great info here. I just moved into a house and put my gun safe in the basement garage. It's always pretty damp feeling down there so I haven't put my guns in the safe yet until I found a solution. I'll pick up a GoldenRod based on the recommendations here.

WishboneW

Used the goldenrod in my basement in Douglasville. Put the safe on a pallet off the floor and in the same room as my gas hot water heater. Had a creek running 10 yds outside the door. Worked great

Meriwether Mike

Another vote for the goldenrod. No trouble after 10 years with my weapons.

Walker44

OK call me stupid but I have had a safe in my basement for over 7 years and what I use to avoid the problem is those packets that come in shoes and electronics I know I am going to spell them wrong but I think its a silicon gel pack I got some good size ones on e bay cheap maybe 10 oz each I put them in the safe and twice a year I take them out put them on a cookie tray and put them in the oven for 20 minutes at 200 degrees Have never had any rust or moisture issues

au7126

Do not sit the safe on the concrete without some type of vapor barrier under it. A scrap piece from builder supply is free. Also use some of the other products listed as well as a dehumidifier sitting on top of my safe. When I no longer hear the sound of the motor running it is time to dump the water.

Stroker

Had a safe in a unheated garage for over 10 years. I run a extension cord with a socket on one end with a 40 watt light bulb. Plugged cord into a timer set for 8 hours on every night. Never had a speck of rust.