Hunting over bait fines

cpowel10

I don't want to turn this into a debate, I just want some input on fine amounts.

I keep reading on the internet about people getting HUGE fines in GA for hunting over bait, some people talk of guys getting their trucks taken for hunting over bait...........I'll be honest, I know of a LOT of people who've been charged with hunting over bait in SW Georgia. I don't think a single one of them had a fine of over $200.

Now the fines I am talking about are just in the SW GA area. What I want to know is, what are the fines for hunting deer over bait like in other parts of the state? Baiting seems to be much more accepted in the southwestern part of the state, and I think its got a lot to do with fine amounts. I know they vary from county to county, but what is the highest fine you know someone getting for hunting over bait in GA.

I don't mean taking a deer over bait, or any combination of other things, I'm talking about just hunting over it.

Like I said, I don't want to know personal beliefs on baiting, just actual amounts that you know of people being fined for it.

kcausey

Banned
$375 in Glascock Count when some idiot from North Carolina tells you to go hunt his stand opening day........i talked to the probate judge and got out of the ticket......moron had a feeder 75 (out of sight) just across the property line......Game Warden whistled at me at 8am opening day of gun season 2003.....i was "framed."

DeepweR

what happens if you hunt the property line and the neighboring club has bait 75 yards onto there property but you have no clue? i' ve just always wondered this because i often hunt our property line.

kcausey

Banned
well...

what happens if you hunt the property line and the neighboring club has bait 75 yards onto there property but you have no clue? i' ve just always wondered this because i often hunt our property line.

That's essentially how they got me....inside 200 yards is inside 200 yards.....hands down. I know, it sucks.

swalker1517

Anyone know why there isn't a standard fine across the state. Until there is a bill passed no two bait fines will be the same. Each county has their own set of fines to hand out,

Davans

You are not responsible for bait being on your neighboring property as long as you have no knowledge of it being there.

gadeerwoman

I think most fines for baiting are $50-300 across the state. Haven't heard of any guns or vehicles being confiscated in years and years and back then it was never for baiting even then..usually for shining. Huge fines?? I think you are in the wrong state. Other states it seriously where law prohibits it. Georgia does not...too many good old boy county judges who laugh and hand out a $50 ticket.

Davans

We had 2 guys ticketed in Spalding county last year for hunting over bait. (2nd weekend of bow season)
The bait in question was some scrap remnints of corn from our PVC feeders that were used during the off season. The warrden literally dug in the dirt to find a kernnel of corn.
1 guy pled guilty and was fined $200.00
The other pled not guilty.
After showing the judge pictures of feeders that were in question the judge found him not guilty.
Be very carefull of what is left over from your feeders. Rangers can write tickets at their discretion, some have better judgement than others, we were pretty diassapointed in this guy.

kcausey

Banned
Not True

You are not responsible for bait being on your neighboring property as long as you have no knowledge of it being there.

Yeah and deer hunters don't lie either.....where is that written in the regulations??? You ain't gonna convince a GW that has been scouting out a spot waiting for someone to hunt it for a week that you didn't know about the bait.....I had no clue i was near any bait, i still got a ticket.....he even stated that he didn't think it was fair and din't like it, but his superior set him out on this spot so he had to do what he had to do....they had many many hours invested in catching me.....that was my second trip to the club......once in july, once in october.

bowtie

Yeah and deer hunters don't lie either.....where is that written in the regulations??? You ain't gonna convince a GW that has been scouting out a spot waiting for someone to hunt it for a week that you didn't know about the bait.....I had no clue i was near any bait, i still got a ticket.....he even stated that he didn't think it was fair and din't like it, but his superior set him out on this spot so he had to do what he had to do....they had many many hours invested in catching me.....that was my second trip to the club......once in july, once in october.

talked to a game warden today about this......they said if they thought you were being honest about it,it would be a warning....basically ....officer discretion

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
A couple of years ago the scum that had the lease next to mine in Quitman County had corn scattered on the ground right across the property line....maybe 10 yards on their side. I'm not talking about a little corn...I'm talking about probably 400 lbs of corn. We called the game warden and he came out and looked at it and staked it out until the nitwit came back to hunt over it. We couldn't hunt that side within 200 yards of the property line for about a month. Thankfully, they lost their lease. I hope they don't have a place to hunt at all.

riprap

$375 in Glascock Count when some idiot from North Carolina tells you to go hunt his stand opening day........i talked to the probate judge and got out of the ticket......moron had a feeder 75 (out of sight) just across the property line......Game Warden whistled at me at 8am opening day of gun season 2003.....i was "framed."
if the judge hunts in glascock, he knows you need corn to see some deer. i hunt there, i don't use corn, i don't see deer. :rofl:

Last edited:

swamp hunter

Yea, It,s killin us Fla. boys too. Why last week deer corn was $9 per bag at Tractor Supply:banginghe, Oh, wait your talkin fines for Hunting over bait, who ever invented that stupid rule. It cost enough just to keep the feeder full , Let alone paying fines to hunt there:shoot:

kcausey

Banned
well again...

talked to a game warden today about this......they said if they thought you were being honest about it,it would be a warning....basically ....officer discretion

Key word is descretion.....i have met some good GW and some very nasty one's.