Advice on preserving the color of tipping wraps.

BeefMaster

Gang,

I am preparing to build my second fly rod and this time I have ambitions of making it a little more refined that my first. My first rod I did not tip my wraps and only aspired to, and achieved, translucent wraps. However, on this build I am hoping to achieve transparent wraps and to include tipping. The blank is a jade colored Blue Halo 7wt. I am planning on using YLI #50 silk in 212 (white) and then tipping with Kimono #100 silk in 329 (Emperor-which is a bold deep but bright purple). As I am using black guides I want them to stand out on the blank and to give the illusion that that are "floating" as those with much more skill and experience than I have do. I think that a 3 or 4 turn tipping wrap will add to the overall aesthetic appeal.

I understand that to achieve the transparent look I will obviously not be applying any color preserver to the main wraps however I want to ensure that the tipping wraps stay vibrant. My guess is that I could wrap the guides with my white silk and then apply a base coat of 50% thinned Threadmaster or Permagloss, then wrap my tipping and apply the color preserver to them, and then finally apply my coats of finish as normal. If I am way off-course please reign me back in and point me in the right direction.

Is it possible to treat the colored silk with the color preserver as I wrap it as an alternative method?

Thanks

Tentwing

Google the " Fly Proof " website. They sale Al's Color Rite by the bottle . It used to be about $6 + tax. I haven't refinished a rod in years , but I had good results with it back in the day.