Replace just the reel or the whole thing?

Hey guys, I have been using a cheap rod and reel combo from bass pro shops for surf fishing- I bought it for 40 bucks. However my friend has the same rod and reel and warned that the reel will probably break down in 3-4 years however the rod will still be fine. Should I just buy a completely new rod and reel or just replace the reel? If I do replace the reel, im looking for something $20-$50. Got any good surf reels for that price range?

Big7

The Oracle
I don't break them.

I wear them out until they won't go no more!

Rabun

Hey guys, I have been using a cheap rod and reel combo from bass pro shops for surf fishing- I bought it for 40 bucks. However my friend has the same rod and reel and warned that the reel will probably break down in 3-4 years however the rod will still be fine. Should I just buy a completely new rod and reel or just replace the reel? If I do replace the reel, im looking for something $20-$50. Got any good surf reels for that price range?

That's a pretty low budget for a saltwater reel. For another 30-35 bucks you can get a daiwa BG series on amazon that will last you a long time. 3500's at $84 right now including shipping.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
You didn't mention how you take care of your gear, but without proper maintenance even an expensive reel won't last long in salt water.

Stonewall 2

Save your money and buy a Penn reel. I used to do the same thing when I was in Savannah in the mid 1990’s finally said this is stupid buying a new reel every year even though I oiled and washed down after each use. Paid $129 for a Penn spinning reel probably around 1994 still use this reel every year and the only thin I have done is replace a $2 washer. I wash down after every use and spray down with reel magic! I like Penn reels but whatever brand you decide on just buy a quality reel and it will last if you take care of it!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've had good luck with Okuma reels in that price range. Probably not the ticket for every-day use, but if you're like me and don't hit the salt but a couple-three times a year, they work fine.

sasmojoe

If you are near the Macon bass pro shop, they sell refurbished reels pretty cheap. I have bought half dozen and have been pleased. They have rods as well.

T-Boy

Do not buy a cheap reel but don't buy a Van Staal either. A good inexpensive reel is a Penn Fierce in the size you want. Keep it out of sand and saltwater and rinse and oil a little and will last you for years.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Do not buy a cheap reel but don't buy a Van Staal either. A good inexpensive reel is a Penn Fierce in the size you want. Keep it out of sand and saltwater and rinse and oil a little and will last you for years.

I agree with Terry. This is a good reel at that price point.

It is definitely all about keeping them out of the water first and foremost. I have Mitchell 302's that are still my go to's on the pier and they are older than dirt.

kingfish

If you buy a quality reel (Penn, Shimano, Daiwa etc) and take really good care of it it will last you a life time. Plus, you are less likely to lose a fish of a life time due to equipment failure.

Nannyman

I've had good luck with Okuma reels in that price range. Probably not the ticket for every-day use, but if you're like me and don't hit the salt but a couple-three times a year, they work fine.

I second the Okuma reels recommendation. Very good reels at a very good price

Silver Bullet

Surf fishing is probably the toughest conditions you can put a reel through. If you want it to last, you need to take care of it. The Penn Spinfisher is a great reel for this application. I just had to retire one after 21 years of service!!! They are heavy, but well built. The 6500 is a great size for bull reds and small sharks. They offer the reel in bigger and smaller sizes, depending on your quarry. Both Dick's and Academy carry them. They are both good about putting things on sale if you can be patient.
After each use, tighten the drag a little, spray with water from the top, allow to dry and loosen drag. Penn's customer service has always done me right.
SB