lisinopril

Oldstick

40 for me too, but it's Enalapril, which I reckon is the same family.

NOYDB

BANNED
Each person react differently to a drug.

You may need 40mg or can only handle 10 mg. If your Dr. recommends you try it, start with a low dosage and see how YOU respond.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
20 for a couple years. I haven't noticed any side effects, and it keeps me alive while I live off bacon, salt, grease, and cigarettes.

JackSprat

My doc took me off.

Yesterday my bp was 110/70

I did have a cough. Was't like smoker's cough but it was there. No that I am off it, no cough.

gunnurse

Lisinopril reduces your blood pressure by lessening the diameter of the blood vessels in your body. It is classified as an ACE inhibitor (angiotensin converting enzyme.) Think of it as if your finger is covering part of the end of a garden hose. The water goes farther out because the volume remains constant, but the diameter at discharge is less. Hence, higher pressure. Reducing the diameter reduces the pressure. Lisinopril, and any other “ -pril” medication works like this.

Lisinopril is well known to create the (in)famous lisinopril cough. Some are definitely worse than others.

If this is the case here, your doctor may write for a beta blocker. This family ends in - lol, such as atenolol. These meds work to slightly slow the heart rate. They are completely safe. Think less blood volume, therefore less pressure. I have been on a beta blocker for several years. Always be proactive in addressing any med reaction with your physician and demand a change if any untoward side effects are felt.

Sorry for the lengthy post that is slightly off subject. But... Knowledge is power.

Artfuldodger

Lisinopril reduces your blood pressure by lessening the diameter of the blood vessels in your body. It is classified as an ACE inhibitor (angiotensin converting enzyme.) Think of it as if your finger is covering part of the end of a garden hose. The water goes farther out because the volume remains constant, but the diameter at discharge is less. Hence, higher pressure. Reducing the diameter reduces the pressure. Lisinopril, and any other “ -pril” medication works like this.

Lisinopril is well known to create the (in)famous lisinopril cough. Some are definitely worse than others.

If this is the case here, your doctor may write for a beta blocker. This family ends in - lol, such as atenolol. These meds work to slightly slow the heart rate. They are completely safe. Think less blood volume, therefore less pressure. I have been on a beta blocker for several years. Always be proactive in addressing any med reaction with your physician and demand a change if any untoward side effects are felt.

Sorry for the lengthy post that is slightly off subject. But... Knowledge is power.

Hey, thanks for sharing. My doctor switched me to an ARB, Losartan after the Lisonopril didn't agree with me.

trents99

20mg with a 12.5 water pill for 20 years. No sides to speak of and my pressure runs 140s/80s. When I go on vacation it drops a good bit so stress of life i suppose.

About 10 years ago I went to see my parents cardiologist on my own. He asked why I wanted to see him since i was in my early 30s and i asked him about my BP and medication. He said in his opinion he wouldn't put me on anything. At my age at the time he said a bit of exercise and lessen my salt intake was all I needed. I don't mind the exercise part but dang no salt. Might as well not eat lol.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I took 20 mg for years and then I retired and my blood pressure dropped dramatically. I no longer take any bp meds.

Lukikus2

I took 20 mg for years and then I retired and my blood pressure dropped dramatically. I no longer take any bp meds.

Dr's can't subscribe anxiety medicine as freely any more. 9 times out of 10 the root of high bp to begin with.

Twiggbuster

Took 20mg for years, doc moved to 40mg recently.
No real difference.
I forgot the cough but still have it occasionally.
I know when I miss taking it I can tell you that!!
Mad as a hornet!

Weight loss would do me good.

ngadeerhunter1969

20 in the morning and 20 at night for several years. No side effects that I know of.

georgiabound

My doctor started me out on 20mg once a day. After about 1 year, and talking with a lot of people who also took it; I had my doctor change my prescription. I always had that little itch in the back of my throat as well as the cough that went along with it. Doc said it only affected about 3% of people that way. Guess I fell into that category. Changed over to Irbesartan and the cough has gone away.